Dating Tip: Avoid Doctors!

Run across a lot of Indian chiefs you’d like to date?

Over the course of the last year and a half I’ve spent a great deal of my time around med students. I haven’t dated one, but I haven’t noticed the narcissistic element you mention. I do know that a lot of relationships haven’t survived the not even two years my friends have been in school, but others have.

So, basically, I think you’ve got people who are going into a profession where they are going to have to dedicate a large amount of time to their careers. Any egotistical posturing is purely a personal problem, not one bound to the job, IMO.

But, still, it does suck that you got burnt. I have a friend who decided she really can’t date people right now because she doesn’t have the time to do it right. I commend her for knowing when to put the needs and feelings of potential romances above her desire for a ‘crutch’.

They revamped the methods of admission into Med school here a few years back in a concious effort to weed out the snooty/full of themselves doctor wannabe types. Should be interesting to see what the next wave of Queensland doctors are like!

Ah, my dear, if a certain rock musician had obeyed your dictum about not being involved with medical students about twenty-seven years ago… I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to be with you today.

You’re best off not dating professionals. Lawyers, like other whores, area an easy way to a broken heart and an untreatable STDs.

Indian chiefs on the other hand are just corporate all the way. It’s all about the outfit and the prestige. Not to mention the interns*.

• I am so kidding about the Indian remarks. Lawyers on the other hand I wasn’t kidding about. At least prostitutes are honest about what they do for a living.

Any thoughts about generalizing based on the type of doctor? Future surgeon vs derm vs whathaveyou?

(Full disclosure: pediatrician, met my wife in med school, married before intern year, first child during internship - not a choice I’d advise - still married with four kids, one off to college in the Fall, almost 20 years later)

Hmmmmm, my instinct is to think “Dating tip; Avoid dating”. Dating, whatever kind of guy you pick is a gamble. A very painful one. Some girls luck out and find a good one. But it’s pretty damn hard to FIND “one of the good ones”.

At any rate, good luck in your search. There are a few out there.

Yeah, I would much prefer a dermatologist b/c I heard they have better hours. I’m dating a shrink. Which is really sort of handy because I get general medical questions + my mental health help in one complete package.

I dunno, anu. Shrinks who don’t have to take hospital call have some pretty good hours. Well, good hours for doctors, anyway. Of course, the crappier Dr.J’s hours are, the more we tend to see of one another. Night float months are especially nice, since we’re both up most of the night and asleep during the day. We see each other when we’re both awake every single day. (Plus, I’m usually asleep before he gets in, so I don’t have to try to fall asleep with the buzzsaw snore from hell rattling the windows.)

I agree with Canvas Shoes; my first thought was, “Dating? Well, that’s your first mistake right there.” But I thought it might be a bit insensitive, so I kept my trap shut.

Well, since this has been resurrected (too bad it wasn’t by normal medical means…), I find it interesting. I realized I wasn’t going to stay married or get to know my kids, so switched careers.

I mean, come ON, docs, do you really think you’re called to medicine and can’t do ANYthing else with your life?

So I’m not an internist like I’d planned. It’s not like the world’s short exactly one MD, and people are dropping over in the streets as a result.

By the way, I’m a teacher now, married for decades, and I got lots of time with my awesome now-grown kids (too much, they’d say…). And, surprise, when you have 10% the stress and 300% the sleep, you’re a lot happier.

Moderator Note

Thread was raised by a spammer who has since been disappeared.

Not all models, just top underwear models—those are the one’s I had to swear off.

They’d always sashay around my house in their tight, little panties exuding their unquenchable libidos. Puh-lease!

Gorgeous Scantily-Clad Underwear Model: *I need some Tibby-love and I need it right now!
Tibby: *Cool your jets, woman, can’t you see I’m playing Minecraft! :mad:

Yeah, I just stick with the more down to earth haute couture models now.

Dr.-Almost-Bunny was a lovely man who never went on and on about the nobility of his profession. (Then again, he was a forensic pathologist, which attracts unusual people.) I’ve casually dated a few other docs, and they haven’t been difficult either.

Lawyers, OTOH, are a bit of a PITA. Fucking logical and argumentative. :smiley: That can be a good thing or a bad thing, I suppose.

Dang, if we’d only pressed her on this, we would’ve eventually narrowed it down to “this one guy”.

Now I have to go serve mankind.

Twenty-odd years ago, when I worked for Medicare (in a role that did consulting with doctors/hospitals), we had a running joke about doctors’ wives. The first wife supported him through med school; the second one was the office manager or nurse from his office after he’d been established for a bit; and the third was the young hottie he met in late middle age.

We saw that* a lot*.

cough My uncle Lyle. Don’t know if he made it to the young hottie stage, as he was a non-blood uncle and got dropped from the family as soon as he dumped my aunt who supported him through med school for one of his nurses. Though I felt for my poor aunt, that event did feel strangely vindicating as I never liked him as a child ;).

My sister has worked in a hospital for over 40 years, and she’s seen the pattern a LOT, too.

She worked for over 20 years on the teaching floor, so she saw all the young residents…and saw how the majority of them changed when they became attendings.

One doc who’d dumped his first wife for a trophy wife came to his senses and wanted his first wife to take him back. She didn’t.

I know this is a zombie, but still…

Newsflash, doctors are human. A fair proportion of the world’s humanity are self important jackasses in one way or another. Docs are no different.

And CrazyCatLady is right on, being involved with a Med student is really really difficult if you aren’t the sort of person who essentially enjoys being alone. It doesn’t get better w/ residency, and god help you if your chosen goes on to a Fellowship program. And even then, once out in the big wide medical world alone, it’s still tough. The medical world is VERY territorial and it pretty much requires an arrogant hard skinned person to get anywhere.

MrDrsaje & I have been together since college and I stuck through the hell that was applications, rejections, acceptance, relocating, Med School, relocating, Residency, relocating, Fellowship, relocating, and then making a go of it in a cutthroat industry (with more relocations). I know a lot of relationships that failed because the spouse couldn’t handle it. We married once he graduated school, and we chose not to have kids, but I spent a lot of time alone and I learned in a hurry to be independent and just to get shit done without his help.

We’re at 35 years together, 21 or so married. First and only marriage for either of us, and if he dumps me (which I doubt highly but you never know I guess) then I’ll be quite capable of continuing on with my life, doing whatever I gotta do.

I’m quite glad this didn’t catch on, since both my parents are doctors and I am fairly happy that I was born. Having said that, my dad cheated on my mother with several nurses and eventually left her for one so maybe there’s something to it.