Day of Mourning

Just a note that last night, Joseph Heller–not my most favorite author, but the author of my most favorite book, Catch-22–died of a heart attack.

Se me muerte!

Makes me want to go back to my old BBS handle: “Yossarian”. Might do it.

I just read of his death on Cnn.com My memories of Catch 22 were from baby sitting every New Years Eve and for at least two NYE in a row (before cable) Catch 22 was always on after Midnight. It took me reading to book ( once for school and once on my own) to completely grasp what the movie was all about.

I read Catch-22 after watching an episode of Room 222 (I had a crush on Karen Valentine, okay.) where an upstart teacher assigned the book. It taught me some interesting lessons I found to be still true when I went in the navy.

I once knew a Yossarian… but alas that was a lifetime ago! <sighs>

I really try to be good but it just isn’t in my nature!

That’s some catch.

A moment of silence, in memoriam.

You’d think this kind of thing would be big news, yet this is the first I’ve heard of it.

Now I have to read “Something Happened” and “God Knows” I have them sitting here and haven’t gotten around to it. I love is work.

I heard about it on the news this morning. I think they quoted Vonnegut as saying. “This is a calamity for men of letters”

pat

Also the first I’d heard, but I’ve been holed up studying.

Catch-22 is one of my favorite books. I’m still in shock, kinda.

Question authority–just not mine.

I just heard about it now. May he rest in peace.
– Sylence

I don’t have an evil side. Just a really, really apathetic one.

Man is matter… that was Heller’s secret.

My favorite book. Farewell.

Thanks to Mr. Heller for giving us a catchphrase (unforgettably branded in the skullbones after the read) that succinctly describes the worst of our bureaucratic mindfucking.

This is the first I’ve heard of it, as well. Looks like he finally flew his eighty-five missions, and got sent home.

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

It’s the best there is. :slight_smile:
Remembering back to re-reading “Catch-22” after a year in the Air Force…and discovering it wasn’t fiction.

“We just want you to…like us.”

Did 18 months in Minot, ND (the longest 5 years of my life). We couldn’t get leave because we were “short of manpower” but every Friday morning we had…a PARADE!.

I’ll be happy to discuss this further. Please feel free to make an appointment for anytime I’m not in.

JB
Lex Non Favet Delicatorum Votis

Wasn’t it “Ripeness is everything” ?

Anyway, I got some Egyptian cotton at an excellent price, here.

And eggs are still five cents apiece.

Did y’all know today is the bicentennial of George Washington’s death?

“There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.”
~P.J. O’Rourke~

Another “Handle We’d Like To See Here”:

Major Major Major Major

Deftly portrayed by Bob Newhart in a movie that otherwise didn’t even come close to doing the book justice. If I may share my memory of the first time I read Catch-22:

Enthralled, I was approaching the last few pages starting to regret strongly that the book was about to end. And then: the ending. It stunned me. It floored me. I was litterally dumbfounded. I read the last paragraph five or six more times before I could finally stand up… it was a couple of weeks before I could even pick up another book–the weight of Catch-22 was too strong!

Has anybody read Heller’s sequel? I’ve always preferred to leave it to my immagination on whether or not Yossarian made it…

Of course, if he ever shows his face around here, he will be cremated on the spot.

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

The sequel is kinda two books in one. The chapters alternate between a narrative of two people growing up and living in Brooklyn, and Yossarian, Milo and a few other C22 characters living in modern-day Manhattan. If you liked the original C22 the sequel is worth reading, but I suggest you consider reading only the chapters dealing with the original C22 cast.

Uke, the exact phrase is “Ripeness was all”, from the very end of the “Man is matter” paragraph in chapter 41. The way the novel reads so playfully for 400+ pages, then slams you with the Snowden chapter is just one of the million things I admire about the book.

and

And everybody gets a share.
“His arents don’t need the money. They’re rich.”
“Then they’ll understand.”

JB
Lex Non Favet Delicatorum Votis