De-Apple-ifying my life

My first computer back in the 90s was an Apple. I have for the most part had Apple products almost nonstop. I’ve always liked them and found them much better than PCs. The one drawback is the cost, and it still is a problem today IMHO. Even re-furbished Apple products seem more expensive than is really necessary.

Now-a-days, I really don’t see much difference between Apple and PCs. Back in 2019 I took a trip to Ireland for some family history research and bought a Chromebook to take with me. That way, if lost, stolen or damaged, it wouldn’t be a big deal. I really enjoyed it and by the end of 2020 it had replaced my iPad.

I never had an iPhone mostly because one of my first plans didn’t offer them. I never found any reason to make the switch so I’ve stuck with Android. It’s funny because everyone in my household recently changed providers and all got iPhones. I chose to stay out and am happy I did.

I still have my MacBook Pro and the reason I haven’t switched is because I like iMovie. I don’t know if PCs come with anything similar and haven’t really looked into it yet. When it is time to upgrade most likely it will be a PC.

Ok. Feel better getting that out.

The journey from addiction to freedom starts with the recognition you have a problem. Thanks for sharing; we’re here for you. :wink:

I’d say it isn’t just Apple that’s the problem, it’s the way that digital/social media/big business has become such a part of people’s lives. And we’ve just blithely given them permission to track/market/con/influence us!

Just getting Apple products out of my life wouldn’t fix that. What about google and amazon and facebook and twitter etc etc?

So what I’m trying to do is Go More Analog.

Just today I:

• Made my own breakfast (not from MacDonald’s).
  • Read part of a real book (killed a tree with my own hands)
  • Got on my manual bike (manual=non-electric).
  • Biked through a cool nature preserve, across a long boardwalk over a swamp, and onto a state bike path through farm fields.
  • Had lunch outside at a little country Mom’n’Pop bar.
    (Friday Fish Fry… yay!)
  • Read a book while eating… well, a comic book.
  • Ordered take out for supper from a local Belgian Ale House.
  • Biked home (this was first long bike ride since sub-zero temps… mucho saddle-sore).
  • Doodled in a sketchbook (with a #2 pencil, not an Apple Pencil:).

And here I am now, on a laptop… well, since The Dope has kept me sane through the pandemic, I ain’t giving that up.

I’ve always rejected Apple for their refusal to go along with industry standards.

I mean seriously, you can’t even charge your phone with out an Apple phone charger.

This is slowly changing. My new iPad Air has USB C, as does the pro. I expect they will role it out to the new devices, but who knows when. The phones also support Qi wireless charging which is an industry standard.

Pull up @Cumberdale, it’s a trap!
I’m (sort of) going the other way. After being a dedicated drone for, well since I got my first smartfone, I switched to iPhone. I’ve had it up and running for…two whole days now. My Samsung got compromised some how. After researching and trying to figure out how, I came to the conclusion that Samsung and google have deliberately created security holes for advertising and data collection you could drive a semi through.

Now, de-teching is understandable, I don’t have home internet or cable or satellite tv, myself, by choice.

Congratulations on escaping the cult.

That’s the one thing that is somewhat holding me back. My Apple products haven’t been compromised. Although I don’t remember the last time my other non-Apple products were compromised either.

Good list, and I already do most of the things listed. Will be glad when Covid goes away so I can get back to taking road trips and the like.

Thanks, proud to say that list was just an average day (now that Wisconsin’s yards of snow are dwindling, and they’ve plowed the bike paths).

But ironically, part of my Focusing On Analog Pursuits was to buy an iPhone. If I’m out randomly exploring back roads, I know that I’ve got GPS if I need it. Family can text if they have an emergency, and I can call 911, or look up a bike shop, if I have one. And if I’m coming up on a town, I can check if there’s Curbside Coffee (and hopefully a rest room… that’s what I miss the most Biking During Covid).

eta: Bought an older used iPhone (SE, $99 unlocked, from Gazelle). Never had to update it or reboot it, it just works.
Not using most of its features, it’s just in my coat pocket in case.

Though it does have audiobooks on it if I get bored…

My dad has an SE and loves it. Hes always been an apple guy for small devices. Has his phone and an iPad he keeps by his chair for quick look ups for various things. Still uses windows for the puters though

Stay away from Samsung and android, from my experience of late. Thats my advice.

If it were me, I’d experiment with Bootcamp on your Macbook, using an Windows 10 in evaluation mode (i.e. unregistered) to evaluate if you like the user experience.

I am unaware of anything that really duplicates iMovie. Windows Movie Maker is a free download from Microsoft’s website, but is not as fully featured. And other freeware (like VSDC free, or Kdenlive) tend to add more features and work more like a full on video editor. Though apparently there’s this new one called Olive that people like.

Those would actually be the software I would try out in Windows on a Mac, to see if I liked them. Or, if they have Mac versions, try them out on Mac. Here’s a list from the makers of VSDC:

I’ve had no difficulties with the last 4 Samsung Androids I’ve owned. The latest being just a few months old.

What are the specific concerns I should be aware of? I’m less than pleased with the amount of Samsung-ware on it, but that’s really just a quibble.

I’m kind of the opposite. For years I was a-la-carte Android, PC, Linux, a little Apple, coming from of a well-intended but futile intention to use more open-source stuff that was serviceable with my day-job skillset.

As the years wore on it became apparent that this was causing me tons of interoperability frustrations, and I wasn’t getting much mileage out of the user-serviceability aspect. So I finally switched to Apple to interoperate with anyone else.

I have found that Apple’s user-friendliness and intuitiveness are a bit overhyped. But FWIW I like my iPhone better than my Android, and I’m glad that I can seamlessly manage my kids’ digital experience as well.

And to think I used to resent Macs’ inability to be hacked. I wanted to not only get under the hood, but rip the engine out and screw pieces of other appliances onto it.

And now, I just want to do stuff ON a computer or a phone, not TO it.

I’ve mellowed to the point where I just want it to work, and I’m okay with not knowing why it does.

I’m Apple to the core.

Meh. Being anti-brand is as overhyped as brand loyalty. Android vs. Apple, Xbox vs. Playstation, New York style pizza vs. Chicago deep dish, Ford vs. Chevy.
We don’t live in a black and white world where you have to pick a side. Pick what you like at the time or pick both. Whatever happened to the advice “all things in moderation”?

Don’t know, ask the moderators. Do they really get all things?

And if you never ever change that attitude, you’ll be Apple to the corpse…