[QUOTE=brewha]
FWIW, IROC is an acronymn for International Race of Champions. The IROC-Z is just a type of Chevy Camaro, named for the racing league.
[/QUOTE]
Also the league initially used Camaros, which is why the IROC-Z is called that.
I have to say I opened the thread expecting to find a zombie. Maybe from the AOL days. I can’t remember the last time I saw an IROC-Z. And I’m on the road a lot.
[QUOTE=brewha]
FWIW, IROC is an acronymn for International Race of Champions. The IROC-Z is just a type of Chevy Camaro, named for the racing league.
[/QUOTE]
To add, they took identical Camaros and then equally souped them up as well. All things being equal, the winner of an IROC race did so because he was the best driver, not because he drove a better car.
Not surprisingly, the production version of this configuration held a fair amount of appeal to a certain rubber-burning segment of the populace.
[QUOTE=brewha]
FWIW, IROC is an acronymn for International Race of Champions.
[/QUOTE]
Not if you were driving up and down the Seaside strip in the late-80’s/early-90’s. Back then, it was all Italian Retards Out Cruising.
Oh, I thought those were the Tony Awards.
[QUOTE=AWB]
County Officials - No, not the EMS/Fire/Police. The powers that be that denied the road’s residents permission to have speed humps installed. (Fast drivers had been a bane there for years.) An overwhelming majority of residents wanted them, and were willing to pay for them. For whatever fucked up bureaucratic reason, saving a few tax dollars outweighed the safety of a neighborhood.
[/QUOTE]
I know of one neighborhood where several crude concrete speed bumps mysteriously appeared overnight.
The neighbors all agreed that nobody saw nothing. The police investigation defined the word “half-hearted.”
[QUOTE=furt]
I know of one neighborhood where several crude concrete speed bumps mysteriously appeared overnight.
[/QUOTE]
Those are the best! Road vandals seldom bother to use the bright yellow warning paint to mark their creations.
[QUOTE=AWB]
I therefore pit the following:
{snip}
- County Officials - No, not the EMS/Fire/Police. The powers that be that denied the road’s residents permission to have speed humps installed. (Fast drivers had been a bane there for years.) An overwhelming majority of residents wanted them, and were willing to pay for them. For whatever fucked up bureaucratic reason, saving a few tax dollars outweighed the safety of a neighborhood.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t recall the name of the tome (I’m sure one of the police/traffic management types here can provide it) but there’s a guideline which cities and counties around the country use to determine if a particular stretch of roadway requires a certain “improvement,” such as a traffic light, speed bump, or signage. The majority of residents desiring the improvement doesn’t really enter into it as it’s based on history of accidents and history of traffic problems there. Roads are expensive to build and maintain so it’s not “just a few tax dollars.” The city/county officials are responsible to spend them on necessary–not just desired–road improvements. The police could also be deployed during times when the fast drivers are “the bane” but, again, police deployment is expensive and there are guidelines that department uses also to determine how best to spend the tax money to protect the community.
[QUOTE=Monty]
I don’t recall the name of the tome (I’m sure one of the police/traffic management types here can provide it) but there’s a guideline which cities and counties around the country use to determine if a particular stretch of roadway requires a certain “improvement,” such as a traffic light, speed bump, or signage. The majority of residents desiring the improvement doesn’t really enter into it as it’s based on history of accidents and history of traffic problems there. Roads are expensive to build and maintain so it’s not “just a few tax dollars.” The city/county officials are responsible to spend them on necessary–not just desired–road improvements. The police could also be deployed during times when the fast drivers are “the bane” but, again, police deployment is expensive and there are guidelines that department uses also to determine how best to spend the tax money to protect the community.
[/QUOTE]
In other words, citizen, butt out! :rolleyes:
[QUOTE=lieu]
To add, they took identical Camaros and then equally souped them up as well. All things being equal, the winner of an IROC race did so because he was the best driver, not because he drove a better car.
Not surprisingly, the production version of this configuration held a fair amount of appeal to a certain rubber-burning segment of the populace.
[/QUOTE]
and the drivers were from different disciplines: Nascar, indy, F1, drag racing, etc.