My laptop here at work used to go back and forth with me, but for the last six months or so, I just leave it here (at work), plugged in. Up until about two weeks ago the battery was ALWAYS at 99% or 100%. A few weeks ago though I would notice it dip down to below 50% then climb back up, all in a matter of an hour or so. I kinda figured it was dying. Now it’s been at 1% for two days and I doubt it’s going to recover. The last time I checked, I could run my laptop without the battery attached, provided it’s plugged in. So my question is, should I leave the battery in, or should I take it out? BTW I’m not planning to replace it.
Good question. I look forward to the answers. I also have a notebook whose battery is 100% dead.
It has been my belief that notebooks don’t need surgue protectors because the battery and power supply buffer the notebook from a direct electrical shock. If that is true, there may be some benefit to leaving the battery in.
I’ve been using this laptop as a home computer for a couple of years and my battery died some time ago through constant disuse. I left it in too, mainly because I coudn’t be bothered to take it out.
BTW why do batteries die if they’re not used?
Quick hijack: They all die in 2-3 years if used properly. 6-9 months if left plugged in. You need to use the battery to prolong it’s life. A properly cared for battery will have between 300-500 charge-discharge cycles.
Anecdotal information here - I had a Dell notebook a few years back that I used at my desk & it was plugged in all the time. The thing kept powering off randomly. I discovered that when I removed the battery, the problem stopped. Moral - it may work better for you, but who knows?