Deadwood 7-9-06 (there will be spoilers)

Here’s something posted on the HBO boards by W. Earl Brown (Dan) about the fight. It’s really interesting.

Link

His username is BigEarlB. Hee.

I loved how the crowd was kind of moving around the fight, some continuing their business as if they were stepping around a horse turd.
I love how Al was straining to figure his next move and looks outside to see Hearst being lead off by Bullock. There is part dread as to what may happen next and part… “why didn’t I let him do this earlier” on Al’s face.
Anyone else notice how Johnny seems to be getting a little more aware of things and catching on quicker. There might be a thought in his head after all.

I’d say Hearst was not fooled by Adams’ at all.

I’m still fricken squemish about the eye bouncing around. All I can think is that
A) it would get mud on it and
B) That must be disorienting when part of your vision is a loose swinging eye

EEEEWWWW!

I watched it again last night and decided that what bothered me about the eye wasn’t that it was bobbing around on a stalk, but the screams of fear and terror.

I agree that Hearst wasn’t fooled by Adams at all.

Yes, Steve needs a kick in the head from a horse.

Some total speculation on my part, so no spoiler box.

Suppose Dan has killed Hawkeye, either on his own initiative or on Al’s orders, and Al knows it. Suppose Adams finds out. That would give Adams a great motivation to sell Al out to Hearst for real.

That link doesn’t work for me.

Idon’t know if Dan was meaner… Turner bit Dan on the face within the first few minutes of the fight, if that ain’t mean I don’t know what is.

And other people have mentioned that Turner looking to Hearst was the turning point…no way, Turner continued to beat the shit out of Dan until Dan went for the eye.

I thought Turner was pulling a Mike Tyson on Dan. Either way, ewwwwww.

I think Turner had Dan beaten until he turned up for a signal from Hearst. I agree that Turner’s screams are what did it for me.

Way. Turner was drowning Dan in the puddle when he looked up at Hearst. That second of inattention is what gave Dan the chance to get his head outta the water. Otherwise, the fight would have ended there and Dan would have died ignominiously, his lungs full of foul water. Yes, Turner kept beating the shit out of him after that, but he wouldn’t have had the opportunity if he’d killed Dan in the puddle.

And yeah, the screams did me in too. One doesn’t expect to hear a sound like that coming out of a grown man, though it was entirely appropriate. I actually felt bad for Turner in that moment, though god knows he had it coming.

Yeah, I think he was. There was a shot toward the end of the fight that made it look like his cheek had been mostly gnawed off.

Max

It’s working ok for me. Can someone else try my link above and see if it works?

It worked for me.

Captain Turner was played by Allan Graff, former lineman from the '72 USC undefeated Trojans, who later started a long and respected career as a 2nd unit director, famous for developing a couple of unique stunts and for filming realistic football scenes for movies. Pretty interesting stuff about him here.

And of course Hearst’s awesome line that preceded it: “When I say for you to Go Fuck Yourself Sheriff, will you put that down to drunkenness or a high estimate of your athleticism?”

Another funny exchange:

Turner: Go tell your friend I know he’s afraid of me.

Silas: Dority? Big guy?

Turner: I guess he looks big to you.

I also loved that Dan called Turner, Captain Cuntface.

I’ve said that phrase for years.

(it’s also used in “The Specials” with Thomas Haden Church and Rob Lowe)

yeah, it’s working now. Interesting stuff. Thanks.

I was just able to get in my first viewing…

What was Al’s comment at Bullock was leading Hearst by the ear? Something like “the sheriff is removing many of our options” Which leads me to believe that Bullock unknowingly saved Hearst’s life by arresting him. Maybe that was his (Hearst) plan all along - to be placed in protective custody.

Someone says “fuck” during the episode.

Dan also called him the “Sea creature”.