Dealer tags from Georgia in Florida

Ok, I just bought an used car from a dealership last week. I’m going down to Orlanda Florida next week. The car currently has a temporary dealer tag on it that expires July 28th.

Does anyone know if that tag would be good enough incase I get pulled over in Florida, or would they give me a ticket because the car is not registered yet?

WAG: As long as you have the paperwork proving ownership, you should be okay.

Granted this was 10 years ago, but doing the same thing with my temporary Georgia deal-name-only plate with not so much as a window sticker, I didn’t have problems in either Florida or South Carolina (South Carolina does the same thing as Georgia, so maybe they’re used to it).

I’m sure cops had gotten behind me a few times with those tags.

Vehicle registration from any given state is legal in all states.

Just so everybody knows. “Dealer plates” in Georgia are pieces of cardboard printed for the dealer with their logo on it. Near the bottom in a blank spot or on a piece of white tape is written the expiration date in hand. No id #, not even “Georgia” written on it.

Not one single thing produced by the State is involved. No window stickers, no decals, no prison shop metal.

Obviously one can just put a new piece of white tape over the old, write a new date and keep on going until the cardboard falls apart in the humidity. Then get a new one from a buddy or have one printed up yourself. Works until you get stopped for something else.

Florida is probably used to it. But I think a west cost cop would have you over in a flash.

(There are “real” dealer plates in Georgia. I see them once in a great while.)

Oh, E72521, a friend of mine was arrested in New Jersey for having Indiana dealer plates. YMMV.

This has recently been changed. Now, when you buy a car in Georgia, the dealer is required to issue a 30-day temporary paper tag showing a date that is 30 days from the day the car was sold. I know of people who drove around for a year with one of those “tag applied for” paper tags. Enough people complained and the law was changed.

Uh, we use cardboard dealer plates in California, too. Although I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen them on a used car, I don’t see any reason why not.

Umm, I was citing the new law. Note that I was referring to expiration date, etc. But still just dealer logo cardboard.