Dealing with an indoor mosquito/fruit fly problem....

I’m just curious if anyone has any suggestions of what I can do to deal with mosquitos and fruit flies in my apartment.

We don’t have a ton, but it’s enough that it’s annoying. There’s probably an average of four or five fruit flies in the bathroom and we kill one or two mosquitoes in the bedroom and den ever day. I don’t want suggestions like fixing the screens or any other sort of rennovation. I’m looking for some traps (fly paper?) or repellant.

Refer to the Google Ads?

Fruit flys will be gone in a few days, if you remove the source of attraction, you’ll have to figure out what that is. Mosquitos aren’t likely to breed indoors, although I guess it’s possible. The only way to stop mosquitos is keep them out, but you don’t want to address that, so the only suggestion I have is generous applications of a repellent containing Deet.

Two hands rapidly smacked together, with the insect between the two. A vacuum cleaner hose end close to them if your not coordinated enough to manage the hand thing. It can suck them in from a few inches away.

Why not? I had a problem this summer with gnats and mosquitoes in my home office at night. Gave it some thought, found a hole along the base of the window screen, had it fixed and the problem was eliminated within a day.

Like others said, you need to find the source and nip it. Why not fix the source?

I just want to be clear that it’s not that I don’t “want” to do something about that. It’s that I don’t own the apartment, so I can’t get my girlfriend to tell our landlord that we’re going to take out all their crappy windows and screening.

We’ve got seven leaks in our ceiling that we’ve got to get to first. The mosquitoes are a minor problem for now.

Welcome to Taiwan…

I just want to be clear that it’s not that I don’t “want” to do something about that. It’s that I don’t own the apartment, so I can’t get my girlfriend to tell our landlord that we’re going to take out all their crappy windows and screening.

We’ve got seven leaks in our ceiling that we’ve got to get to first. The mosquitoes are a minor problem for now.

Welcome to Taiwan…

I totally agree with y’all. The problem is that this apartment is so porous that I can’t possibly fix all of the holes. The apartment is, over all, not bad and it’s cheap. The landlords fix everything that they can, and they’re prompt about it.* The problem with the fruit flies and mosquitoes is that it would require installing entirely new windows and changing the vent in the bathroom. They can come in all over the place, which I guess – judging from the responses on this thread – means they will.

So there’s nothing that attracts and kills mosquitoes?

*The leaks come from the apartment above, and we can’t seem to find the person who lives there, so we can’t get in.

There is here in Australia - Mortein Odourless Mozzie Zapper. There may be a similar product available in Taiwan. I would be surprised if these things were unique to Australia.