Debit card with one cent positive balance

A wholesaler I deal with at work periodically offers perks to reward their customers who meet certain spending goals. Last month I qualified for a $100 “rebate”.

Previously they’ve sent me a check. This time they sent me a debit/credit card. It had a $100 positive balance. But, after the $100 was spent, it would then act like a credit card. I do not need/want a credit card. I was not happy.

So, I used the debit card to purchase a gift card at my local bar. I specifically purchased a gift card for $99.99, then destroyed the debit/credit card.

According to the paperwork there are no charges/fees as long as a balance remains on the debit card. There was no time limit on using the debit card. So, what will happen with my penny balance?

That’s a new one on me.

If there is no balance left on the card, how could they possibly collect a fee? This is a card you did not apply for, and unless your wholesaler has your SSN this would not go on your credit record.

I think the penny will sit there until the bank considers the account abandoned, which could take years–I’m going to guess seven, if there is no stated time limit.

That being said (sorry, more opinion than fact), I do wonder if you have read the fine print correctly. Some gift cards with credit card branding are reloadable debit cards that you can keep using, rather than being a one-time gift card. Are you sure you don’t have one of those? I just can’t believe that any random person can just open a credit card account for you.

Nope, in fact if I did not keep track of my purchases and spent $105.00, the $5.00 would have been on the credit card. Those rules were very specific. It seems like a kind of “gotcha”. And yes, although I never applied for a credit card from this wholesaler, I have an account with them, so the have my SSN, etc.

I get those rebate cards all the time. You really just use them like a gift card until they’re gone and that’s the end of them.

I had two $50 cards and used them both on a $120 shopping bill. I swiped the first, chose “credit” (instructions say to “use them like a credit card” - as in, don’t type in a PIN, even though the front of the card says “debit card.”) and it was accepted. Then the system said my total was $70. I did the same with the second, it was accepted, said my total was $20. I put in my real credit card to finish it off, and threw the two rebate debit cards in the trash.

There is no mention of these cards (or any previous such cards) on my credit report.

Just toss the cards when you’re done. Or, cut them up and toss them. They’re really just gift cards that can be used anywhere.

Are those rules online, and can you link to them? It seems very, very unlikely to me that someone could open any significant line of credit for you without your explicit consent. I can see the cardholder saying something like “if the merchant makes a mistake and lets you charge more, we can bill you for it,” but turning into a credit card after the spend? A card you never applied for, did a credit check for, or signed for? I can’t imagine that you weren’t misunderstanding something.

I threw away the fine print and destroyed the card, so no.

But I read and reread the instructions for use, and yeah, I was also surprised. It couldn’t be used at an ATM, had no PIN, and for charges made in excess of the $100 positive balance it would be treated as a credit card and I’d get monthly statements. I’ve gotten debit cards before as rebates, never one that “became” a credit card, though.

If the wholesaler offers this again, I will save the material, although I am hesitant to accept another rebate in this form.

ETA: I do have a significant line of credit with the wholesaler. Some months I spend 8 - 10,000 (and pay it off when due).

OK, I had to activate the card prior to use, and I remember using my phone to do that. I looked at my iPhone browser history, but it is Safari on my phone and tablet and I use my iPad a lot.

I’ll try scrolling through history on my iPad tonight.

If I get a gift credit card, I immediately spend the entire balance on Amazon credit for myself, and then immediately claim that. No messing around with partial cards or having to remember how much is left, and Amazon credit is basically identical to cash for me.

Might not be the answer, but I have one credit card that will send a check for the credit balance after three months.

I always round up when I pay.

So, be on the lookout for that One Cent check. :wink: (Nah. It’ll get written off)

I was happy when I figured it out. Just convert to an Amazon gift card to myself and chuck it. No more leftover pennies (or more).

Oddly enough, I once overpaid my wife’s credit card, which she hardly ever uses, by two cents. When I realized my error I thought they would simply carry the two-cent credit balance on the account, until one day she uses it again.

You would think…but you would be wrong.

They mailed her a check for two cents.

I’d be a little wary since they said it would turn into a credit card, and they do have your info required to open a line of credit. The face that it can turn into a credit card after using the available balance seems like they would have to have added a line or credit that would be on your credit report. You may want to have it removed if possible if you dont want it there, or risk some loophole that activates they card to start charging fees or whatnot.