Deborah Solomon's "Questions for.." in Sunday NYT Magazine

I’m often surprised by what seemingly rude questions she asks her interviewees. For example, a couple weeks ago, Harry Shearer described a show he had opening at a New York Gallery and she replied, “Is that supposed to be deep?

Yet week after week, she gets the biggest names in politics, business, and the arts to sit down with her. Is this the magic of editing? Are her interviewees ever mad when they read the published interview? I’m curious if anyone can point me to some links about how she works, or has any hearsay to share.

(I’m not sure if this is in the correct forum, but I couldn’t think of a better place for it.)

Seems pretty innocuous to me. It’s got a little bit of an edge to it, but so what? Most adults can handle an interviewer who isn’t a complete sycophant. Hell, any more mild than that and it would read like a press release.

It sure beats my response to the guy’s project, which is: “Couldn’t you think of anything fucking better to do?” Shit, just load up some Youtube videos and hit mute.