Decisions, decisions. Should I take the job or not?

I had an interview yesterday, and aced it. It’s for a prestigious position, at a prestigious company. Having this company on my resume would look really, really good.

They just called, and made me an offer. Unfortunately, it’s for less than I’m making now… and the job is in a town which is more expensive than the one I’m currently in.

They did offer a sizeable signing bonus, and a fairly large moving bonus. They recongnize that I’d be making less than I am now, and promise a review before the end of the year. Apparently, I’m a bit more senior than they were looking for. I’d be roughly breaking even this year, given the bonuses, but without a pretty large raise when the review hits, I’d be losing money after that.

On the other hand, my wife would have very little trouble finding a job in that city- something she’s had no luck with here. If she gets a decent job, we’d come out ahead- but it’s not guaranteed.

On the other, other hand, houses are a good bit more expensive there. And my commute would be a damn sight longer than the five minutes I’ve got here.

Dammit, dammit, dammit. I was really hoping for an offer which would make this a no-brainer.

I’m kinda stuck. Do I stay here with the job I enjoy, where I’m appreciated, but where I’m working on a relatively lesser-known project? Or do I move to a lower-pay, but higher recognition job? Argh.

All those things sound way more important then prestige.

The recognition is valuable, for sure.

But you gotta take a look at the career situation today.

I will not attempt to advise you,but with all the layoffs, no such thing as “job tenure” and so on, I personally look at it like this:

Money talks, bullshit walks.

Too, too often, nowadays, when it even the least bit convenient for a corporation, for whatever reason, you are nothing but a disposable asset.

Evaluated this, old company vs. new company, and make your own decision.

If you’re happy in your job and don’t think there are layoffs in the future, and you actually have soome kind of a future, I’d recommend staying until you get something better. The, don’t look back.

Can’t you counter-offer?

I’m certainly going to try that tomorrow morning… but I’ve already told them that I’m pretty darned happy at my current job, so I don’t really think it’s a matter of them trying to play “chicken” with me; I get the feeling that I really am a bit out of their price range.

The funny thing is- if this had come up even 8 months ago, I’d be out of here in a flash. I wasn’t too happy back then.

In brief, it looks like you’d be trading salary, quality of life and a reasonably happy quality of work for prestige.

In addition, your wife would have a chance of a jump-start for her career.

How does your wife feel about this? Is she so frustrated with her career prospects that she’s willing to roll the dice? Is she relatively happy with the way things are right now? Is she willing to trade your salary for prestige?

Not easy questions. Good luck.