Declawing Cats

My cats told me that their laser declawing was not only painless, but that they felt better not getting their claws snagged so much, not having their mommy scream in pain when they kneaded her, and not having to be held down to have their nails clipped regularly.

What do you mean I can’t know what my cats are thinking? If I can’t, then how do you know that they would prefer claws?

My dane knocked a hole in the wall once. He got really, really excited and started wagging his tail crazily-- SMACK! Giant (about a foot in diameter) hole in the hallway wall. Scooby stopped wagging, tilted his head and stared at the hole. . . and started wagging some more.

But they don’t live long. Saturday we had to put Scoobs down as he was old and very sick. I’m heart broken, but he was a wonderful dog. Danes are the best- everyone should get one! :wink:

Good grief–I didn’t say it was close to 97%. What on earth is your point?

It’s the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. Again, I’ve got no idea what your point is: is your point that, because many people are criminally negligent about their children, we should therefore not care about how they treat their cats?

I’m speaking from years of experience here, educating people about alternatives to declawing. Your idea, whatever it is, just doesn’t seem to hold together.

Oh, I didn’t say your idea wasn’t funny. You’re the next Benny fucking Hill. I just said it was completely irrelevant.

Gosh, how did I guess? A limited access shelter run probably extralegally (most states have laws that govern animal shelters, and most private individuals running shelters ignore these laws) that only takes in the animals that she wants to take in, that’s able to find homes for all the cats that she takes in. Of COURSE she’s able to find homes for all of them: when she’s not able to, she doesn’t take any more in. If she didn’t declaw all the kittens, she’d still be able to find homes for all of them: the excellent local limited-access organization that we work with finds homes for all their animals too, because when they’re full, they shut their doors. Just like she does.

Daniel

I don’t mean that you can’t know what your cats are thinking. To suggest that we can’t infer animal cognition from animal behavior is the worst sort of antianthropomorphism. I strongly suspect, however, that you haven’t observed very many cats if those are the conclusions you’ve drawn.

Daniel

You misspelled “live with parents” as “die with strangers.” :slight_smile:

If the healthy cat in dre2xl’s household tested positive for FEVC, the virus that causes fip, I’ll agree that he or she separated the animals “for no reason.” If the healthy cat had not yet acquired the virus, isolating him from the positive cat was a way to ensure that he never did; thus protecting him from the small but possible chance that he would develop fip.

Fip is transmitted to cats from humans? Cite, please?

[Disclaimer]I do not think tail docking or ear clipping is appropriate for a dog which will be a house pet.[/Disclaimer]

Dobermans (Dobermen?) originally had their ears clipped and their tails docked because they were bred to be guard and attack dogs. You do not want your guard and attack dogs to have convenient places for the trespasser or attackee to grab. This means breeding for short hair, clipping the ears in the short style, and docking their tails.

Doh! It took me an entire day before I got it. :smiley:

So nc123 are you speaking for dre2xl? lol, the random-name brothers.

I didn’t mispell anything, it wasn’t the cat’s parents was it?

Anyway read my link instead of asking for a “cite”, jackass. The concept that there is no cat-cat transfer of the disease implies the virus is mutating from another host species. I didn’t say it was established fact.

Classic.

I haven’t seen anyone called a fucktard today here either.

I don’t want to suggest I’m some big cat disease expert. I was just pointing out the flaw in dre2xl’s “perfect” example.

All I have to say is, I know not one but two declawed cats who get along quite handily outside. They can climb trees, and one regularly brings down birds and rodents.

Any cat who can’t defend itself without front claws is a pussy.

Good one, Spongey.

My clawless 12-year-old INDOOR cat managed to kill a bird once. Cats are clever and persistence. Thank heavens they don’t have opposable thumbs, or who knows what they’d do.

No need to lose sleep over it. My eldest has thumbs. So far he’s only used them for picking up pens and throwing them under the fridge.

I for one welcome our feline overlords.

As a trusted member of the SDMB, you can be useful in rounding up slaves to work in their tuna mines.