Deep Space 9: What You Leave Behind (obligatory spoilker warning)

The synopsis at startrek.com doesn’t say anything about him being a bounty hunter and I have a hard time believing that they would worry about escaped Bajorans, even if they number in the hundreds of thousands, when they have billions more on Bajor.

Yes. He had black hair as a Cardassian, and sort of a dusty brown as a Bajoran.

And why all the similiarities? I’ve never seen a blonde Klingon or a red-headed Cardassian. There is a lot of diversity amongst Bajorans and Terrans, but Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons and Cardassians don’t have a lot of variety in hair color.

Oh, and one other thing. The episode of DS9 with Mary Crosby as a Cardassian professor…she had a low-cut dress and a distinctive design on her chest. Her female student didn’t have it, and I didn’t notice that Zial had it either. Was that something that came with age, or were they just trying to draw attention to Mary Crosby’s rack?

Well, considering that the synopsis at startrek.com is only a page long, it doesn’t surprise me TOO much that they left that out. It’s not complete and definitive, (though it is the official authority, sigh.)

Cite: http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Lower_Decks

or google: lower decks bounty hunter star trek

:slight_smile:
With respect to your last point… you’re probably right that they don’t worry about every escaped bajoran. Probably there’s only a bounty on some of them… terrorists and escaped slaves might both fit into that category.

Caucasians are the only human ethnicity with any wide variety of hair colors (How many blonde Bushmen or redheaded Inuit are there?) so it’s not too inconceivable even within the context of the limited Trek universe that aliens would only have one or two themselves.

Skin color’s another matter though.

Not really. Startrek.com is hardly infailable and as had numerous errors in the past and isn’t to be considered canon, only a reference material.

And, yeah, I didn’t think of her trying to be masqueraded as a terrorist and just got caught on the slave aspect, which is where our disagreement hinges.

Jones has done a few incidental voices for The Simpsons, but Bleeding Gums Murphy was voiced by the late Ron Taylor.

Thanks so much for this thread!

That was the first time I’d ever been through the complete series watching it on Spike so alot of questions have been answered. I really didn’t “get into it” until about the 3rd season’s episodes so I’m looking forward to seeing them again to have it all make more sense.

By the time I made it to the finale I was in tears saying goodbye to all these characters. I thought it wrapped some things up a little too neatly (such as–it was a pretty quick resolution to the war it seemed to me) but it was a great way to end a wonderful show.

This show has moved ahead of ST:TNG as my 2nd fave Star Trek show. (Classic is first of course) The whole Bajoran/Prophets/Founders stuff was hard to follow at first, but I really like the continuity of this series, as opposed to “stand alone” episodes on the other STOS and ST:TNG.

Also, regarding civilians teaching in military academies: Has no one seen Top Gun??!! :slight_smile:

It’s just another example of Federation indoctrination and propaganda. If it quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and taste like a duck then it’s a duck.

Marc

I stand corrected. My grandfather was an NCO during WWII in the Navy and had to go to some engineering school. Maybe they have an engineering school for NCOs at Starfleet. Hey, if they can retcon other silly things they could retcon this as well!

Marc

Well considering every other war in Trek history lasted no more than a three-part episode, I’d say they took their time with this one.

But up until the new Battlestar Galactica, I would have placed DS9 as my favorite sci-fi series of all time.

And wasn’t Miles supposed to be an officer when he was first introduce? The story I heard (although I have no cite) is that someone mistook the fact that he was Transporter Chief for the fact that he was a Chief Petty Officer.

Considering the fact that he was at Ops in Encounter at Farpoint, I would say he was originally supposed to be an officer.

My take on it is that the whole “peaceful space explorers” line is more of an ideal than a reality. Starfleet would like to spend all their time exploring and being nice to everyone, but the facts of life mean that they spend most of their time keeping the Federation safe from invaders. So, whether they like it or not, they’re a military force.

He wore lieutenant’s pips for the first three or four seasons of TNG, so yeah, he was originally intended as some sort of officer.

Star Fleet isn’t military in that their purpose is not to go out and kick ass. They explore.
However, should ass need kicking in space, there isn’t anyone else to do it, so they serve a military function.

My favorite line from is, I believe, from What You Leave Behind.

Garak shoots Weyoun.

Changling: “That was the last Weyoun clone.”
Garak: “I was hoping you’d say that.”

My regrets:

Dukat didn’t end up a “Good Bad Guy” as he was in a few episodes. I wish he’d done the Damar part. For that matter, I regret that they killed off Damar.
The prophetizing/killing off/worm hole aliening/whatEVER of Sisko.

Not every villain can be a misunderstood genius with a heart of gold or a good man just doing his job and I’m happy that he was an opportunistic asshole instead of those. Granted, he could have been handled a little more evenly after the death of Ziyal and his EVIL! persona afterwards was a bit much but it fit in well enough, even if it was a bit hammy.

No Mr. Bond. I want you to die.

No Mr. Bond. I expect you to die.

I never can get that one right. Memorised 17,442 different songs, a third of them in Spanish, and I can’t get a freakin Bond film quote right…

Disclaimer- I haven’t seen the episode in years. I have no cable, no dvd player, and get very poor reception of the only local station still showing DS9.

I never understood why they had Odo say good bye to Kira. Considering that he was able to convince Founder Whatsername to surrender and submit herself to a trial in a few seconds, I don’t see why he has to stay and educate his people for years.

Another aspect that always bugged me is that Odo doesn’t IMHO seem to convince or educate the Founder so much as brainwash her. He’s linked with other changelings before without changing their opinion of solids. But, now the other changelings are dying from Section 31’s plague, and Odo is healthy. In healing them, he overwhelms their minds with his own and they come out thinking the way he wants them to.

Re The Breen And The Cardassians

I always thought that the Founders were lying to the Cardassians. Even then, they only told them that they’d be allowed independence and given some territory. The Founders told the Breen that they would be equals and treated them with respect. IMO as soon as they were strong enough, the Founders would have destroyed the Breen. For the most part, the Founders had a good idea of how much crap the Cardassians would put up with before rebelling. Whatsername made an error (I agree that it was likely based on arrogance, and still thinking of herself as a ruler of the Dominion as it existed in the Gamma Quadrant before the war rather than somebody in need of allies and low on resources), and it cost them Cardassia.

Re Wynn Not Recognizing Dukat

Wynn has great abilities to take credit for others’ work, shift blame from herself to others, and some PR skills. But, she’s largely average. She has no faith to draw on as O’Pah did. She isn’t cunning. She doesn’t have a gift for strategy. She isn’t particularly perceptive. Dukat wasn’t that important during the occupation. He wasn’t the Butcher of Gallitep, or anybody particularly memorable. Dukat is cunning, used to scheming constantly, and wouldn’t have a real problem fooling her.

I thought the EVIL! villain persona was very much out of character actually. And pretty needless as well. I think they could have found ways of making him do what the plot required in out of his “customary” scheming nastiness perhaps with an added edge after Ziyal’s death but without all of that craziness.

In my opinion that serious suffered quite a lot when they went to all out war because they lost so many of the interesting nuances and grey shades and instead they went a lot of good vs evil. The corresponding EVIL! prophets never did much for me either.

I didn’t care much for the Pah Wraiths either (and I hated the Empok Nor cult episode and the Jake/Wraith vs Kira/Prophet episode) but Dukat’s descent into madness after his daughter’s murder didn’t bother me too much in theory, only in execution, and it did lead to one of the best episodes of the series where he and Sisko were stranded on the planetoid all by themselves and he finally snaps under all the strain.

It seemed to me that the tension between military/non-military is as follows: as we understand it, a military is an institution whose business is fighting wars. There might be the occasional backup to an exceptional scientific mission, but war (and civil defence) it is.

When they say that Starfleet isn’t a military organization, they don’t mean that it doesn’t have a military structure, which it does (ranks, fleet, etc.) I don’t think it’s questionable that their main mission is exploration, but they go to it armed. If we don’t see it as often, it’s because armed combat is exciting and more likely to be put on TV; the valiant crew of the U.S.S. Whoever exploring the fascinating neutrino emissions of Zixtlit Beta, essential as that might be to Federation scientists, does not get put on the show, even though it’s theoretically ongoing.

After all, all those science colonies and mapping missions that run into trouble just when the Enterprise happens to be in range must be running as part of some kind of a program, yes?

And when the Cylon…er, Borg come, who ya gonna call?