Define "lying".

This sentence is false.

Lying is something neurotypicals do too much of, and care too little about.

That is far from a definition. You could change “lying” to “eating chocolate”, but I assume you are not equating lying with overindulgence in Hershey’s kisses.Care to try again?

Right. That’s why we call them jokes, yarns, tall tales, fairy tales, fables, sea stories, etc. to differentiate them from outright lies.

In the Navy we used to say that the difference between a fairy tale and a ‘sea story’ was that the former starts with “Once upon a time. . .” and a sea story starts with “Now, this is no shit. . .”

But I eat too much chocolate and I’m not neurotypical. I don’t understand your argument. Eating chocolate and lying aren’t related.

I am not sure whether to take you seriously.

Your earlier post does not make any real attempt to define lying. All it does is make a moral judgment of “Nuro typical” people. Can you define lying in a non-judge mental fashion ?

Okay, it’s when people are deliberately deceptive towards others.

Or it’s what I do in bed.

I’m not a dentist, and yet I find myself pulling teeth.

Did you read the OP? Would you agree with Steve’s assertion that my tall tales to our cousin Hannah, intended to boost her morale, were lies?

A woman I know redefines “lying” to serve her purposes. She claims that she has never lied in her entire life, and she’s not about to start now: “Lying is not even in my consciousness.” Yet when I point out obvious lies she’s told, she’ll defend them by saying, “That’s not lying. It’s smart!” (As though those two things are mutually exclusive). :smack:

I’m in favor of what people on the autism spectrum bring to the broader neurological table. Animal husbandry and humanity would be significantly poorer if Temple Grandin were never born.

But there’s an edge to what you’ve written that I can’t quite distinguish from sincere and valid criticism. In other words, I also can’t tell if you’re serious. If you’re sincere, I’d like to engage and maybe help move the conversation forward. If you’re not, I’m a little horrified by your apparent exploitation of those on that spectrum for shits and giggles. (This seems unlikely to me).

What’s the scoop?
P.S. If you happen to be on the autism spectrum and missed this, Skald’s reference to “pulling teeth” means to say that he shouldn’t have to work so hard to prompt you to state a coherent case for your argument. If you have one, I’d be interested in hearing it too.

I am not attempting to exploit persons on the autism spectrum. I don’t know anything about EmilyG. I caught a whiff of the possibility he or she might be autistic, but here she hasn’t said so; it would be helpful if that were made explicit. Having no experience of dealing with such persons, hi I’m not sure what difficulties or insights they might be breaking to the conversation or dealing with.

That should be BRINGING to the conversation, not BREAKING. Sorry, dictation problems.