Deliverance of alcohol to a minor

Hi, i just got charged with delivering alcohol to a minor.
He is a friend of mine, and he had one beer. But my question is, does anyone know the penalties for that? i didnt BUY it for him. or get it for him, it was just there and he had some, (i offered it), it wasnt on my own private property though. So does anyone know? is it too serious?

-scared in nyc

They actually wrote you up for that? As long as your friend is pretty close to legal age, the judge will most likely drop the charges or give you a fine.

If your friend is 5, then you might be in bigger trouble.

my friend is 17, we were volunteering at a haunted house. The cops didn’t put hand cuffs on us, but we went down the station.

Also, i forget to mention, i have a court date.
My friends suggested that i tell my friend to say that I didnt “offer” it to him, that he just took of his own freewill, but im concerned for him (since hes kinda young) that he might get in more trouble, legally or with his parents =P

Your friend is already in trouble (I’m assuming, but a fairly safe assumption) for being a minor in possession of alcohol. I don’t know about NY penalties, but here in CA, he’d have to pay a fine and go to alcohol/drug awareness class. It’s about $250 and two or three classes, after that’s done nothing else happens, although I hear there are harsher penalties (usually involving driving priveleges) for repeat MIPs.

I don’t anyone who’s been busted for providing alcohol to minors, but I’ve heard that it’s a stiffer penalty. Also, if minors are cought drinking, whoever is there and over 21 gets nailed for providing it to them. If that’s the case, there’s no real advantage to perjuring yourself; if that’s not the case, then it’s your call, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

And, it goes without saying, IANAL

In WA, a minor convicted of any drug or alcohol offense will lose his/her driver’s license, even if it is not driving-related (i.e. get caught drinking at a party, lose your license.)

I’m not positive of the details, but I think it’s like so:

• If the minor is under 18, he/she must wait until his/her 18th birthday to obtain a driver’s license. If already licensed, license is lost untio 18.

• If minor is over 18 but under 21, license is lost until age 21. Not sure about this one.

I imagine it’s a pretty good deterrent if you’re 15 years 11 months old, and just about to get your license. Drink, and wait 2 more years.

Ooops… I was wrong. Here are the WA penalties:

Possession of Controlled Substances by a Minor
Possession generally: Felony with a fine up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment up to 5 years; additional mandatory fine of $1,000.00

Possession of marijuana, 40 grams or less: Misdemeanor with a fine up to $250 and imprisonment of not less than 24 consecutive hours.

For juveniles under the age of 21, driver’s license is revoked for 1 year or until the juvenile reaches the age of 17, whichever is longer.

Purchase or Possession of Alcohol by a Minor
Gross misdemeanor: imprisonment up to 1 year in the county jail and/or a fine up to $5,000.

Purchasing or Furnishing Alcohol for a Minor
Gross misdemeanor: imprisonment up to 1 year and/or a fine up to $5,000.