Demeaning post by IvoryTowerDenizen

Poor moderation.

Calling Tweeters “Twits” was unnecessarily snarky but there has never been any hard rule about being snarky towards third parties (as opposed to thread participants). Further, if ITD had admonished that and stopped there, we would not be having this teapot encapsulated storm.

But instead ITD muddled the issue by calling it threadshitting. There is not one single part of **Turble’s **post that offends the threadshitting rule as stated by CKDH. Let’s parse:

Nope, Turble shat on Twitter as not being worthwhile. The OP was (in significant part) whether twitter was worthwhile. **ITD **(and frankly other mods in this thread who should know better) seem to have got confused between the subject of the discussion (whether Twitter was worthwhile, to which **Turble’s **post was precisely on point) and the discussion itself.

Nope. **Turble **did not suggest that the OP should not have raised the topic or that it wasn’t worth talking about.

Nope, **Turble **did not belittle the posters in the thread, **Turble **belittled Twitter users, and to the extent there is overlap that’s not the point of the threadshitting rule. It’s not threadshitting to say “yes I think conservatives are ignorant” in a thread about whether conservatives are ignorant, just because there are conservatives participating in the discussion.

Nope. **Turble **was quite clearly answering the OP’s very question, not suggesting that the question itself was stupid or not worth caring about.

As above.

Clear moderating fail. And really my dissection of the issue isn’t even required. **Snowboarder Bo **said “+1” and wasn’t moderated. **jz78817 **said “I don’t, and nobody.” which was if anything even more explicitly dismissive than Turble, and wasn’t moderated.

Which tells you it wasn’t about threadshitting it was about being insulting at an incredibly low level (is there a more minor insult than “twit”?). Confusing moderation that hasn’t been thought through leads to unnecessary disputation.

If the OP was “Olive stuffing: is it worth the effort?” does anyone here believe that **ITD **would have modded someone who said “I choose not to be an olive duffer and don’t care to do any olive duffing”?

Course not. Why not? Well, I think we know the answer to that.

nm

I find myself caring not even a little. Good moderation on ITD’s part.

Jeez. I could understand making such a big deal of this if Turble had gotten a warning, but it was just a mod note. His posting privileges aren’t in jeopardy here. Let’s step back and put it in its proper perspective. This is why I wouldn’t to be a mod here.

It’s the wrong type of mod note.

As Princhester points out, it isn’t threadshitting. I agree with his reasoning.

However, the user of the word “twits” is rude and hostile, and worth a note to “dial it back” or “knock it off”

Wrong analogy. Suppose that you asked for resources and advice, and invited opinions if they are worth joining in the first place. That’s a better fit for the original question.
ETA - JB has changed his post, deleting the words that I quoted.

I disagree with those who are arguing this position. The issue is not that the OP expressed an opinion about the worth of using Twitter. The issue is that he did so in manner that was demeaning to the topic.

Basically he was saying that Twitter was so foolish that it’s users are all twits. Therefore a thrradndiscussing how to use Twitter is foolish, because Twitter itself is foolish. That is threadshitting because it’s dismissive of the topic as a whole. Twits was rude on its own, but the effect was to also become demeaning of the topic.

It’s fine that others may see it differently, but threadshitting was definitely an interpretation in my judgement.

We’re not really disagreeing. It isn’t that I object to the moderation per se, I just think you’ve attached the wrong label.

I understand that. I was clarifying why I thought it was the correct label.

It’s all good, man

It’s not apparent that you are recognising the distinction between demeaning the topic and demeaning the subject matter of the topic. Suggesting that the latter is threadshitting is obviously wrong; it would mean that 2/3rds of the posts in any Trump thread (for example) would be threadshitting.

When the subject matter of the thread is in relevant part whether Twitter is worthwhile, saying it isn’t is not demeaning the topic, it’s demeaning the subject matter of the topic.

Your first sentence is accurate but not threadshitting. Your second sentence is pure fiction. You know damn well that the OP asked whether Twitter was worth bothering with. Saying it is not is precisely on point.

I know it is hard to concentrate over the bellowing of that ox being gored.

NM.

Example of threadshitting:

The_OP : How do I use Twitter?

Reply: Don’t bother. I consider it to be a pointless waste of time.

Example of NOT threadshitting.
The_OP : How do I use Twitter? Does it get annoying? Is it worth the effort?Also, who is worth following?

Reply: Don’t bother. I consider it to be a pointless waste of time.

Spot the difference?

Toss in a demeaning comment about Twitter as being inherently stupid by comparing its users to twits and you’d be closer to what happened. That’s what made it threadshitting.

Which I’ve explained. So your “spot the difference game” doesn’t really apply.

We can’t thrradndiscussing anymore now?

You again.

FWIW I’m posting from my phone on crappy hotel wifi while deciding to upend my professional life.

Typos will happen!

Good luck on the professional life upending! I hope everything works out for the best.

One does not simply walk into the Straight Dope. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just mods. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. Its BBQ Pit a barren wasteland, riddled with flames and trolls, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume.

ITD said this in that thread.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=20399690&postcount=48

I thought it was allowed to disparage a group even if members of this board are a part of said group. i.e. Conservatives, liberals, Christians etc.

When did this change?

If your pants have flounces, I’d venture to opine that they’re ALREADY pretty special…

Good God, what part of this is a complicated calculation???

It’s THREADSHITTING. He’s not warned for insulting posters. If he had been warned for insulting posters, your question would have relevance.

I sometimes think that there are posters on this Board who simply cannot stand to see authority used in any way, and MUST try and question it. :smack:

You left out the part where the application’s name lends itself to, and in the view of some, practically INVITES, an unfortunate insulting nickname for those who use it.