Democrat Blasted for Remark on Revolution

And my slow post-construction tendencies once again leave me at the end of a long line of folks all saying the same thing.

I think I’ll retire to the Cafe Society thread about fictional swear words for a while, and mutter some of them to myself.

Then back to studying for you, December.

Most of those items are protected by the constitution because each seperate little pissed-off group of ‘founding fathers’ distrusted any of the others to such an extent that they wanted to make sure oppression was difficult.

He’s just trying to show he’s not a total GOP dupe. It’s not working.

King’s your favorite target these days isn’t he december. Your comparison here is as much bullshit as your comparison of Bush to King in this thread. To me this suggests that you don’t have any conviction in anything you write, you’re just making shit up as you go along. You can bolster your own ignorance on the subject of MLK as much as you like, but please don’t try to perpetuate it in others.

Unless you have evidence that proves contrary (which you said you don’t), then it’s not “baloney” at all… it’s a claim, and it makes a certain amount of sense. Do you have a better claim for why people join OBL’s cause? Didn’t think so.

And by the way, if you learned anything beyond grade-school American history, you’d know that the Founding Fathers of America were hardly of one mind on any of the issues you mention. Hell, getting them to agree that America should be an independent entity itself was an exercise that took years of debate, and was only passed by the most narrow of votes. Congress at the time of the Revolutionary War (and before) was no less contentious and backbiting than it is now. Your childish view of American history needs some updating.

Hey, I’ve been quoted! :smiley:

This Rep. Kaptur is nuts. While she may have a lucid argument, it makes no difference in the entire scheme of things, and

…ring-a-ding-ding…

SHE’S A POLITICIAN FOR PISS SAKES!

What the hell was she thinking?! Unless she is in a one family district, she’s gotta be gone come the next election cycle. Man, that was a dumb thing to say.

For those of you defending her (or more accurately, attack december), would you say this is an accurate representation of what she said?

-Paragraph 1: OBL and his ilk are similar to American revolutionaries like the Green Mtn. Boys.

-Paragraph 2: “people of faith” understand that these acts of “insurgency” are done to further Islamic rule which they think will make their countries better places.

-Paragraph 3: “people of faith” understand that suicide bombers are religious pious people.

-Paragraph 4: The US is trying to oust Saddam and seize the land. This won’t end “political and social upheaval” in the Middle East.

Is this a fair summary?

Just curious on something … the title of the thread is “democrat Blasted for remark on Revolution”. Where is she blasted? There’s no cite in the OP of her being blasted, and that certainly is not the road this thread has taken…

Possibly true in some conservative knee-jerk locality, but she may get points for being open-minded and thoughtful in Liberal Ohio.

Also, AFAIK, there are lots of Americans of Arab descent in that part of the country. Perhaps she’s canny.

Yes… someone should ask a mod to change the title to ‘december blasted for ignorant attack’.

Originally I was going to cite this article from the Washington Post. Then I found the original article, which is a better source. After submitting, I realized I should have changed the thread title.

So, december, what then is your purpose in starting this thread?

So the thread should be ‘GOP leadership blasted for ignorance’.

Also, note the inappropriate headline writing by the supposedly liberal Washingtton Post

To blast this Congresswoman for saying something stupid and offensive.

When were you planning to?

Here is an article with some fallout from this womans idiotic comments.

In the rush to attack december, it would seem that many posters are willing to defend even the most rediculous of positions. I am sure even Kaptur realizes that what she said was dumb by now.

To clarify, I actually agree that what the woman originally said was pretty dumb. Some truths can be gleaned from her comments, but the way she said much of it leaves a great deal to be desired. I wouldn’t say the same things myself.

However, december invites attack when he says even stupider things while trying to “blast” someone else. Kaptur’s comments were lacking, but december’s in response were completely ignorant, and his further responses in this thread have been beyond ridiculous. If his point was to criticize someone else’s comments, then he could start by writing an intelligent, creative OP, and he could continue by defending it reasonably. Instead, he’s scraping the bottom of the barrel in his attempts to defend himself, and in the process he’s completely failed to achieve his stated purpose.

Note also that december also failed to point out Kaptur’s own comments in response to criticism. From the WP article:

Yeah, in spades. december’s OP is a perfect example.

And in that context, her original comments were poorly-stated, but not completely off the mark. It may be a hard truth that december and his ilk doesn’t want to face, but there it is.

I feel a Pitting coming on…

Debaser, if it were a ridiculous position, then the likes of Biggirl, kaylasdad, RickJay and Captain Amazing would be attacking it. I have enough respect for their views to believe that they are not just looking for any old reason to attack december. If they needed one, lord knows they would not have to go hunting in the pit. GD has plenty.

Just FTR, I do not completely agree with Ms. Kaptur’s opinion nor how it was stated, but I do believe there is considerably more merit to it than her Republican opponents believe it has.

Avalonian people were starting in on december immediately after the OP. I just went back and read it. It is fine. There is nothing there that is outragous. What she said was stupid. He mocks her for saying it. This is the pit. What’s the problem?

iampunha, who cares what they think? What’s your opinion?