[QUOTE=col_10022]
How the world do you expect to get all that into a 30 second political ad.
[/QUOTE]
You don’t get all that into a 30-second spot. You have a spot that says, “The 9/11 commission recommended sweeping changes to our port security system. Three years later, the Republican Congress has not enacted these changes: our ports remain unsecure. Within twenty-four hours of taking control of Congress, the Democrats will enact all recommendations of the 9/11 Commission. I’m Bob Dobbs, and I approve this message.”
Or something like that. And then you do that for half a dozen different issues that can be condensed into soundbites (“Too many Americans are working full-time and living below the poverty level. I don’t think that’s fair, and when Democrats take control of congress, we’ll raise the minimum wage so that all working Americans get an honest day’s pay for an honest day’s work. I’m Bob Dobbs, and I approve this message.”) And you blanket the airwaves with these ads.
If your opponent goes negative, maybe you can spend as much as a third of your ads defending and counterattacking–but spend the remaining 2/3 explaining what you’ll do. Make it a national push, so that in addition to ad time, you’ll get news time to reinforce the idea.
Daniel