Depends on the Mensan . . .

Actually, I felt the same as a lot of you folks, especially having met quite a few of the pretentious type. About a year ago, I found myself enjoying the company of 2 men who gave wonderful backrubs and even better conversation. I was thoroughly enjoying their company when they told me they belonged to Mensa, at which I apparently got an “Oh, and you seemed like such nice people.” look on my face. Despite this flaw, I wound up going out to dinner with them and various and sundry others and having a wonderful time.

Mensans vary. The group in my current city are neat, wonderful, interesting, unpretentious people, so, to my surprise and amusement, I’ve joined up because I enjoy the company. I won’t pretend to make promises about other cities, but if you’re in Ohio or Southwest Pennsylvania, I’d suggest looking up the local chapter and seeing if you enjoy the company. If you do, great. I’ll keep an eye out for you. If you don’t, I can certainly understand why, and I sympathize.

CJ

I’ve always been curious about Mensa. Everyone always says the members are obnoxious and snobby, but there are plenty of people who say that about intelligent people in general. I mean, all you have to do to get labelled a snob is know a crossword puzzle answer that someone else doesn’t know - some parts of society are just very anti-intellectual. So I never really pay too much attention when somebody says “People from Mensa are stuck up”.

On the other hand, I haven’t exactly fallen all over myself to try to get in. I don’t know why. I’m just not a joiner, I guess. Sometimes I think it would be a good way to meet women though. What is the gender split in Mensa? If it’s about half-and-half, it might be worthwhile.