DER 1138!

This is my 1138th post. A rather obscure number, true, that is a reference to an obscure film by a not-so-obscure (now) director. The movie is THX 1138, directed by George Lucas and released in the year 1970. Oddly enough, I’ve never seen the film. Maybe this will be my excuse to find the damn thing.

Ok. I’ve heard that THX (the sound system) is named after Tomlinson Holman, the audio engineer. If this indeed in true, is THX from THX-1138 also named after Mr. Holman?

I remember seeing the movie when it came out. I was around 10. The end was quite shocking to me, sort of along the lines of Planet Of The Apes. I saw it again a few years ago and if memory serves I was disappointed. There are people who think that this movie is Lucas’ best film. I found it boring.

Royal Rodent:
On the trivia page attached to the IMDb it says that the THX-1138 is a mnemonic derived from one of Lucas’ old phone numbers. Glancing at a touch-tone phone, this implies that his number was 849-1138. Is 849 a valid San Francisco prefix?