Describe how a 'good' TV or movie character was actually a villian. Show your work

He conspired with Bert.

How has it taken this long to mention Willy Wonka?
Though I suppose deciding if the original movie or remake version is worse.

That’s sarcasm, right?

Well yes, but I’d still wouldn’t mind having a drink with them. :slight_smile:

If so, then Dumbledore is on this list too.

Indiana Jones is an chauvinist imperialistic grave robber whose carelessness destroyed an order of magnitude more artifacts of cultural and historic value that he ever put in a museum. The natives were right to try to fill him full of blowgun darts. Yes, he fought the Nazi’s but if he had just stayed home and let them find the Arc they still would have gotten their faces melted.

Also, 28 weeks later, at every point in the movie it is someone doing something heroic out of compassion that lets the virus spread further out of control.

If they had shot Alice first thing, or if Don hadn’t asked her for forgiveness, or if soldiers had killed both the infected and uninfected indiscriminately, or left those damned children to die, then Europe could have been saved.

I like to think that this was intentional as a counterpoint to the usual way this works in movies, where for example putting the whole ship at risk in order to rescue a stranded child is shown to be the right decision.

And yet the books make clear that the entire wizarding world had only tenuous connections to regular British society, and was quite different from it in several respects. I hardly think, therefore, that this is a legitimate criticism.

I think he was referring to the British social services system. As far as they were concerned, Harry was just a child being fostered (not adopted) by relatives, and thus subject to regular inspections by case workers - who would have immediately noted the tiny room under the stairs with the locks on the outside, and taken immediate action.

Let’s point those critics to A Series of Unfortunate Events and see what they make of it.

Gilligan was acting dumb on purpose. It was a ruse. In reality he wanted to stay on the island, and purposefully sabotaged all efforts to escape.

“Hmm, I have a working time machine in my desk. I’ve decided that I won’t use it to try to keep the school safe – I’ll just lend it out to students occasionally!”

Yeah, something weird was up with Gilligan. He kept sneaking off to meet with some mysterious group on the other side of the island the rest of the castaways only referred to as “The Others”.

Who turned out to be the Harlem Globetrotters.

It should be trivially obvious that Poirot is a serial killer. Everywhere he goes people drop like flies, and he allowed (at least) twelve other killers to escape justice.
And finally he admits to being a murderer in a posthumous confession.

I think the results speak for themselves. By the end of the movie, Glinda is in control of the East, West, North, and is established in Oz itself. Now whether she’s an evil mastermind (Hitler) or just a schemer who took advantage of events (Putin) is open to debate, but Glinda is obviously Not A Good Witch.

Well, she’s good at being a witch.

Ha! Nice reversal of “I’m a very good man, but I’m a very bad wizard.”

However, since movie-Oz is All Just A Dream, does that mean that all of movie-Glinda’s schemes and manipulations ultimately came from Dorothy? Or, if Dorothy’s brain was making it all up as it went along, that Glinda really didn’t plan anything or know anything before Dorothy herself found it out?

And what better way to escape the noose than to stick around and ‘detect’ the killer? It’s a plausible theory, but my money is on Hastings. Playing dumb around Poirot allows him to stay one step ahead while Poirot’s vanity won’t allow him to see reality.

Sort of the same deal for Father Brown. So many violent murders in such a small English village and he just happens to be the one to discover more than a few them. Then he invariably will tamper with the crime scene evidence or employ his lock picking skills to commit breaking and entering. He then threatens others with eternal damnation if they don’t confess to the murders that he himself has committed.

And don’t get me started on how many people Mrs. McCarthy has poisoned with her award-winning strawberry scones.

My example is the protagonist from the TV show Continuum. The premise:

The plot centres around the conflict between a group of terrorists from the year 2077 who time travel to Vancouver, British Columbia, in 2012 and a police officer who unintentionally accompanies them. In spite of being many years early, the terrorist group decides to continue its violent campaign to stop corporations of the future from replacing governments, while the police officer endeavours to stop them without revealing to everyone that she and the terrorists are from the future.

The show starts with a pretty standard “Bad Guys escape, Hero Cop must track them down” plot, but note the bit about “its violent campaign to stop corporations of the future from replacing governments”?

Yeah, over the course of the series, we see several scenes set in the future, which make it abundantly clear that the future is a repressive authoritarian state, run by corporations for their own profit. The “Terrorists” are really a resistance group trying to break this control, and the protagonist is a cop who is fighting to support the repressive state.

But she’s so deeply indoctrinated in the corporate government mindset that she never quite clues in that she’s the bad guy.

The couple on Haven were the absolute worst. Willing to blow up the entire planet because they “wuv” each other.

Yeah I hate watched the show. Lol