Desperate Housewives 12/2

People can die because of asthma. It’s nothing to kid around with. And I’m really surprised that anyone would, in all seriousness, say that they’d keep the cat in the basement if a human being, hell bitch or not, was in jeopardy of actually dying if the cat stayed. My dog is part of the family, too, but if it came down to it, he’s last on the list. Sorry, Buddy the Beagle.

Of course, the whole plot was completely contrived and ridiculous and Lynette was acting like a hell bitch, which didn’t help her cause. And who wants to bet me that despite the fact that he’s currently buried underneath all that rubble Tom’s asthma won’t even be mentioned again?

a friend of mine has serious asthma - and cats. she knows her limitations and still wouldn’t dream of giving them away.

and you’re right punditlisa. tom’s asthma which never came up before in the last what? three years? will never be mentioned again. :smiley:

ooooohhhhhkay.

a. they for sure had time to get tom an inhaler or allergy pill, or pills.

b. were they all sleeping when lynette 'nabbed the cat? how long were they down there? and why on earth did she take the cat out of the carrier???

c. when the tv get really staticy… duck! didn’t they see twister?

d. heavy forshadowing.
1. weathervane pointing.
2. picket fence flying.
3. penny’s doll getting tossed about hither and yon.

e. why did no one go to the reinforced basement in the applewhite house?

f. bree lives in the midwest/ tornado alley and doesn’t have a fully stocked, super reinforced storm/bomb shelter? so very disappointed in her.

g. there goes the fountain!!

h. speculation is that victor and ida died. carlos is badly injured. of course the woman who just skips out of a bathroom during a tornado strike is later seen in oz… looking for her brains. (really, she was the one who just had me tossing things at the tv. lady! (jerry lewis) llllllaaaady! didn’t you hear the tornado roaring?)

i. why did bree’s utility closet look like it was on a train?

j. who are the 4 sciavos that karen likes? for sure parker… but who else?

and oh, yes, most certainly yes, you can not mistake the green light. this is not the happy, “i’ll be out of school for days” snow light. tornado light is very creepy and eerie. i’ve only seen it once outside of the midwest, in philadelphia of all places. inside the midwest i’ve seen it a few times. each time, boy howdy, did we fly for cover.

totally off subject, “snowlight” is found in german/yiddish as a lastname. now that is a very nifty last name!

This ep had “writer’s strike” written all over it.

Why does everyone keep saying they’re in the midwest? Did they say that in the show? I thought Wisteria Lane was a magical fairy tale place. Didn’t Gabby, Carlos & the mayor go out into the ocean? The frickin’ wisterias are always in bloom, no matter what time of year it is, as are Bree’s hydrangeas. No way can that be the midwest. They mentioned a Mt. Pleasant, but there are lots of those.

What happened to the gay couple?

What’s her name & Captain tight pants left Chicago solely because of the affair thing? What about the daughter with the missing childhood and the father who did “the worst thing you can imagine?”

Carlos’ 10 million is gone now, simply because some papers blew away?

Bleh.

I’m glad to hear that other people had problem with the tornado and the basement things, too.

Only Ms. McCluskey had a basement? Edie only had that little crawlspace thing? What kind of midwestern community is this? What on earth do they use for storage if they don’t have any basements?

The cat situation was bugging me. Of course, as an uninvited guest, Lynette has no business dictating what goes on in the basement. But in placing the importance of a freaking cat over that of Tom’s health, Ida essentially revealed herself to be a lunatic, and I probably would’ve chucked the thing out the window had I been there.

Apropos of nothing in particular, tornadoes can and do pop up in places other than the midwest.

No way. Lynette & family are the lunatics. Ida didn’t want them in her basement because she knew there’d be drama and they could have stayed in any number of alternative shelters. As usual, Lynette needs to inflict herself and her family on everyone else.

I’d tell Tom to breath through a wet wash rag for the next few hours, the big baby.

Good question

Adam told Katherine the woman was a stalker, but it seems that may not have been true. That’s the Chicago secret. We do not know the Fairview secret, and Katherine admitted to Adam that telling people “what’s the worst thing a father can do to his daughter,” while not true, keeps them from prying.

My guess…Dillon, as a young child, somehow accidentally killed her father. There’s a gouge on the floor, remember, and Katherine was hot to keep Auntie from spilling the beans to Dillon.

I thought the voiceover said one woman would lose a husband (Victor?*) and everyone would lose a friend (??).

The part that bugged me (OK, among many) was Mike just agreeing to rehab. That was way too easy.
*If it were er, he’d be savable. They removed a whole big pipe that impaled this one guy once.

I called that in the thread after the episode where they showed the hole in the floor. It’s very, very obvious that that’s what they were trying to imply anyway. A very similar plot device was used in Woody Allen’s movie September and a few other places as well. It’s based on the real life events of Lana Turner and her daughter.

Here it is: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=9080638&postcount=7

Then when it happens, I shall give you full kudoes. :slight_smile:

Upon rewatch it looks like Mrs. McCluskey was the first hell-bitch. When Lynette first asked to take refuge in her basement she said, “No way.” How crappy a person would you have to be to deny your neighbor and her 5 kids a safe place with a F5 tornado bearing down on you. (Okay, I’m embellishing here.)

Also, how cliched is it for a pregnant woman to fall down the stairs after arguing with her husband? Unless your Margaret Mitchell, there should be a moratorium on that plot device.

From a screen shot of next episode that appears in People Magazine, it appears that Edie, Lynette and Bree are still alive. Perhaps Alice’s mention that they’d all lose a friend referred to Mike leaving for rehab?

You left out the part about “no, there’s a perfectly good shelter down the street.” Lynette promised her family would be no trouble and the very first thing one of her kids was banging a large spoon against the water heater.

“Lynette!”
“Oh, you get used to that.”

Typical Lynette.

Yay! I think the Lynette haters outnumber the cat haters. I, for one, would have thrown Lynette out into the storm.

By the way, Ida Greenberg is the name of Mrs. McCluskey’s friend with the cat, Mrs. McC’s first name is Karen.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. And it would have been very tastefully landscaped.

I’ve watched DH from the very first show, and this was absolutely the worst episode I have ever seen. Everything was completely predictable. As soon as a scene started, I told my wife, “X is going to happen” and it did. I knew Edie was going to get the Cayman Island account papers, and she did. I knew they were going to fight over the papers and they would blow away – and they did. I knew the mayor was going to get killed by flying debris, and he did.

And this isn’t because I’m a brilliant prognosticator - it’s because this episode was so badly written! DH has definitely jumped the shark, and I’m going to have to think long and hard about continuing to watch this show.

J.

I said that early on in the thread. Everything was predictable and telegraphed way before it happened. Even what happened at the end with Lynette being separated from her family and then seeing the house destroyed. It was obvious that would happen from the previews they’ve been showing all week. Not that it still wouldn’t have been predictable if they hadn’t shown Lynette’s scream in the previews but it would have a t least had more of an impact.

I would also like to know who Orson’s office manager is. Apparently she lets people barge into the patient rooms while Orson is performing procedures.

If I were Orson, I’d fire her.

Having random people barge in on doctors and dentists working on patients is such a TV cliche my brain barely even registered it.