Despite hearing this on NPR, I can't stop disinfecting!

Well, even if Covid is not spread by contact surfaces, there are still other germs that are, like the common cold, some of the traditional flu, e-coli, etc.

So disinfecting things is still accomplishing a worthy goal. Maybe some of these new habits will become ingrained in our daily habits like ‘wash your hands after using the bathroom’ is, or should be.

By the numbers, chemotherapy offered a low anticipated improvement in my 5-year mortality prediction, just a few percent. Did I have chemo anyway? Hell, yeah. Do I continue to clean surfaces despite the low risk of COVID transmission? Uh, yeah, especially since the unreliable mask/don’t mask messaging.

Can’t speak for others … but to me, washing/sanitizing my hands frequently is much, much easier than wiping down things that come into the house like groceries and mail.

Hospital studies indicate that copper push plates and door handles are better than brushed aluminum, because stuff survives longer on brushed aluminum than on copper.

I’ve long suspected that in Melbourne.Victoria.Australia, part of the wipe-down requirements for businesses was a dishonest way of making businesses want to close down or work off-site, by making the requirements for on-site employment un-attractive.

Personally, it irritated me that the business I work for spent time wiping down the walls, instead of opening the windows, because that was never mandated.

I’ve no way of knowing what was actually in their minds: they made all the COVID documentation ‘cabinet in confidence’ to prevent anyone using FOI laws to find out.

I get groceries, these days, about every three weeks; and the mail once a day, six days a week.

I don’t wipe down all the groceries, I just set most of them aside for a couple of days. But it’s massively easier for me to wipe down some things and the groceries every three weeks and wash my hands once after taking a fast look and then setting the mail aside for a day or so than it would be for me to wash my hands every day before every time I touch my face.

Especially since I don’t wipe things down, as such. I spray them with rubbing alcohol from a spray bottle. – I have, since reading the more recent reports, gotten more careless with groceries that need to go into refrigerator or freezer (and therefore, judging by interim reports, would have needed to be set aside for extraordinary lengths of time.)

Post 17.

But why do they think the people caught it from touching the objects rather than breathing in air the positive person coughed out? If I correctly recall, the person who caught it from the elevator was in the elevator shortly after the sick person who wasn’t wearing a mask.

That is my understanding as well.

Post 17 says:

As I noted in a previous post:

Because it doesn’t account for all the cases and because it’s possible, so my question would be why rule out possible infection from contact with an object.

I went searching for more information on the elevator button incident. I found that there are actually 2 elevator button incidents, the one in New Zealand and one in China. WebMD lists two possible cases of contact transmisson while the Salon article lists two possible cases of contact transmission from New Zealand for at least 4 possible cases of contact transmission.

The circumstance that’s rare is not necessarily that the people got the virus from contact transmission, it’s that they were in managed isolation at the time. Not many places in the world have a managed isolation so strict and controlled that they can identify a possible case of contact transmission.

If someone in the US said that they hadn’t had any other contact with people for any length of time, people would just say they’re lying since there’s not any way to prove it. It’s possible that it happens more often in the US. There just wouldn’t be many easy ways to prove it.

And here’s a possible outbreak possibly caused by fomite transmission.

If there are multiple incidents where the possibilities point to fomite transmission and there isn’t a way to trace that in many parts of the world, there isn’t enough information to say that it doesn’t happen in other places.

Those are just the cases I found on a quick search for the elevator button incident. There may be more cases that I didn’t go looking for.

Experts, including the CDC do say that fomite transmission is possible.

Other experts say that it’s still possible to get covid from touching objects.

There’s enough vagueness in that (like how many hours between the time the virus is clearly infectious until it can’t be detected is it possibly infectious), along with the recorded cases that makes me think that it’s possible to happen, it probably has happened, and that taking a few precautions can reduce the risk even further.

Sources:
Salon (2 NZ cases)
RNZ (rubbish bin incident)
WebMD (on two other cases)
CDC on China elevator button incident
CBS
NYTimes (on fomite transmission)
Better health online (other experts)

CDC has put out new guidance with a more numerical risk of fomite transmission.

They do seem to be allowing for people scrubbing their hands after they’ve touched something.

I’ve been setting aside mail and packages for one to three days depending on material, before figuring it’s safe to handle them without washing hands every time I touch something. (As it is, I’m going through hand cream like crazy; I have quite dry skin, and too much washing risks bleeding cracks.)

Tomorrow will be two weeks since my second Pfizer shot. And I’m going to take a deep breath and stop doing that.