Dexie's Midnight Runner's

Well, Shannon might have gotten the writing credit for “Going My Way,” but from this site, the words and music are traditional:

etc.

Similar phrases are used in other Irish songs; “How are things in Glockamora” uses “Too-ra-lay,” and I have heard similar verses in songs by the Dubliners, etc. Dexy’s undoubtedly used the phrase because of its identity with Irish music; they certainly did not make it up.

Oh, back to the “meaning” of “toora loora toora loo-rye-ay!”

In EVERY language, songs employ a certain number of meaningles, nonsensical “words” or phrases, just as filler. Heck, what does “fa la la la la la la la la” mean, in “Deck the Halls”? What does “Doo lang doo lang” mean, in “He’s So Fine”? What does “shoop shoop” or “doo dah”? mean?

In Irish folk music, there are a host of meaningless syllables used all the time, including:

1. “Whack-fol the derry-oh”
  2. “Toora loora lay”
  3. “Skithery-idle-diddle-dum”

Don’t try to figure out what any of this means!

I do not want the idle minds of 50’s vocalist to come into this debate. Just because for a period of musics history, making sense through words was not the most important thing, this does not mean it was always so. I am sure the connecting beat of “fa la la la la la la la la” in ‘Deck the halls’ means nothing but I wa interested in the fact that the beat of Dexy’s was not mere two letter repetition, this led to an assumption of more to it. I think Dexy’s writers had heads on their shoulders so I doubt they would be so shallow to “fa la la la”-allow along with such clique things. If it sounds like they are trying to say something, they may be doing so.

Oh well. Thanks everyone.

Wasn’t one of the band members from Ireland? The one who went on to form the band Black 47 and gave us the tune, “Funky Keylee?” (sp?) I thought it was a semi-autobiographical song…

Getting My 80s Groove Thang On,
Patty

• “fa la la la la la la la la” - is usually not punctuated correctly:
  1. “falal a la, la, la la la, la” = “Indonesia - is building - a rocket - of bamboo”
  2. “fa lal a lala, la lal a la” = “A pickle in the nose is worth a leopard’s gaze” - an ancient Sunni expression, meaning unclear
  3. “fa la la, la, la la la, la la” = “please place - your - trays - in the upright position”
  4. “fala la lala, l ala, lal a” = “we smell your feet - before we see - your face” (Sioux indian)
    ~
    -“Doo lang doo lang” is related to Chuck Berry’s ding-a-ling. “Doo dah” is Portuguese, it means to “rub forcefully”. “Shoop shoop” is, well, -it’s in a song Cher felt she had to cover. I can’t go typing that kind of stuff here. - MC