Diabetes question

Due to a recent hospital visit, my father was diagnosed with diabetes. I’m wondering how much I have to worry about this. I am overweight, but, (and I don’t know if this mitigates anything) I ingest pretty much -no- processed sugars or honey or anything of the like (syrups, etc.) due to other dietary problems. If I have an almost-nothing sugar intake, should I be concerned? Or does that matter at all?

Well, the lifetime risk for Americans to develop diabetes is high, perhaps over 35%.

A family history increases that chance, especially among certain ethnicities. Likewise, obesity.

A good first place for diabetes information is here.

IANADr - but the Mrs. had gestational diabetes during one pregnancy, her dad was diabetic, and our dog is diabetic, so I’m somewhat familiar with the condition. Neither my wife or her father are/were even remotely overweight.

It unfortunately isn’t as simple as your sugar intake, if I have my facts straight. I’m sure someone with some expert knowledge will step in shortly. Anyway, carbohydrates (bread, pasta, starch, etc) are broken down by the body into . . . sugars. (Think Atkins diet.) And these sugars need to be processed by the body through insulin produced by the pancreas or supplemented by insulin shots.

I think you can delay diabetes by lowering your weight, exercise, managed diet, etc. but genetics will play a part.