Did any enormously talented person have an equally enormously talented child?

The **Drews **and **Barrymores **have been breeding insanely talented actors/producers since the 1820s. John Drew and Louisa Lane Drew; then John Drew, Jr., Georgie Drew Barrymore and her husband Maurice Barrymore; then John, Lionel and Ethel Barrymore; then an embarrassing generational lacuna; then Drew Barrymore.

John and Angelica Huston

Carl and Rob Reiner

An arguable 4-generation run of actors:

Maurice Barrymore begat John Barrymore* begat John Drew Barrymore begat Drew Barrymore.

John Drew is a bit of a speedbump, here. He was never as successful as his father, grandfather, or daughter, but, honestly, that’s not really a result of a lack of talent on his part, but rather being a pain to work with and having a tendency to ditch films and TV shows after getting cast.

Still even taking out John Drew and Drew, we’ve got 2 generations.

• Also Lionel and Ethel, but we’re going for 4 generations here, not just 2.

More about world history than arts/sports, but here’s a similar recent thread.

Father
Son
Holy Ghost

From what I’ve heard they had some big accomplishments

Well, there was Philip of Macedon and his son, Alexander. :wink:

Clarification, please. Is Mr. Friedman lamenting an established fact, or proposing a new rule?

Ed and Keenan Wynn.

I think we simul-posted; you left out **Louisa Lane Drew **and John Drew, Sr., two of the most successful performers/producers of the mid/late 19th century, and their daughter Georgie Drew Barrymore (John, Lionel & Ethel’s mom), one of the best light comic actresses of the 1870s-90s.

John Adams and John Quincy Adams.
The rest of bthe Adams family weren’t slouches, either. Look at Sam Adams and JQ’s descendants.

Serge and Charlotte Gainsbourg?

I think George W. Bush is a war criminal who should have been hung by his neck until dead by the World Court n the Hague for his role in the Iraq War. So, “sneeze” is just not the word. “Spit” is closer to accurate, and clearly, I dispute your thesis.

Johann Strauss Sr. and Johann Strauss Jr.

John Raitt and Bonnie Raitt.

And a few generations of Fords and Rockefellers and Ghandis

Or would have had I not got caught up reading the articles when I was getting the links, heh.

Well, ‘left out’ would imply I knew about them more than in passing. I knew of them, sort of, but I’m really more familiar with the Barrymores, and the Drews only through them.

I really hope Drew has kids who go into the business–the Barrymores/Drews make the Redgraves look like Johnny-Come-Latelys!

Someone above stole my example of Carl Reiner (uniquely gifted successful comic actor) and Rob Reiner (crazily successful director. Look at his list of movies!).

Johnny Cash and daughter Roseanne.

Lloyd, Jeff, and Beau Bridges

Jim Croce and son Adrian.

I must correct you, sir! The word is “hanged”–not “hung.”

And I’ll add to the previously mentioned John & Angelica Huston–Walter Huston, John’s father.