Did anyone see Linklater's Fast Food Nation?

If this movie had a message, I missed it. I was too busy trying to see through my eyelids. Seriously one of the most soulless, morose films I’ve ever seen.

I don’t get Linklater. He is capable of making pretty good films, but sometimes goes way off in weird, unexpected directions. I guess I should applaud him for taking risks.

The book it was based on, Eric Schlosser’s Fast Food Nation, was insightful and fascinating. I didn’t see the movie, but I can’t imagine Schlosser’s book (more of a series of essays interconnected by theme) would have translated to film in a very compelling manner.

Same here: have read the book; have not rented the DVD. I think the scenes in the slaughterhouse might be too much for me.

I was searching for a thread on this. I saw the film last night. It was a mess. Trying to make some point about something. They should have maybe just done a straight documentary or even gone for the corny option and had it as a Grisham-esque corporate thriller. It had a load of threads that didn’t sew into much, and alot of talking head pontificating. There’s been a trend for Magnolia and Crash style multi-narrative films but this one set up the premise and then didn’t know what to do. I’m not sure if this counts as a zombie thread if it does mods you can go ahead and lock it and I’ll start a new thread.

read it and saw it. The book was MUCH more graphic, and the movie tended to leave out a bit of the book, which worked for the story, but not for the impact.

Watching Greg Kinnear was great, though, and I have to say that he was one of the only two decently done characters, the other being Wilmer Valderrama’s wife (I can’t remember her name).

Other than that, the facts/figures weren’t really included, and the plight of the illegals was kind of glossed over.