Tea was so important to the British that in 1943 the UK made a serious and largely successful effort to buy at source the entire global supply. This was just a much larger programme by the Ministry of Food to ensure that - for the psychological welfare of the nation - tea was available to the military and civilian alike.
There’s a good article on Coffee during the American civil war, it was a huge deal. The rebels were blockaded right away, and Coffee became a distant memory in much of the south. That’s how ersatz substitutes like roasted acorns and chicory became a thing. Apparently it was very common for soldier’s letters to home to mention Coffee. Informal trading networks started with Coffee and Tobacco between the opposing forces. Breakfast of Champions, and all.
I’m looking, I’m looking, because I knew right away otherwise I shouldn’t have mentioned it. The confederate soldiers were always gratified when they routed Union troops because that often meant the supply wagons were abandoned, along with the precious sacks of Coffee beans and other unobtanium.
If a YouTube video is any substitute, Max Miller covers a lot of this in the always interesting Tasting History. But Ihave no idea how to post a link to it.
I think that’s been pretty heavily refuted. There were just a couple of British tanks that made it across the bridge and were on the north side of the river. They were engaged in sporadic fighting throughout the night, not making tea. The movie made it seem like a large contingent of XXX Corps made it across the bridge. In reality it was 2 tanks later joined by a 3rd. Hardly enough to push on to Arnhem. Their orders were to establish a bridgehead and hold off any counterattacks. Nijmegen and Lent were not completely secured and that was a reasonable fear.
I’m not sure which book you were reading. Cornelius Ryan wrote A Bridge Too Far not Ambrose.
All British armored vehicles from then until now are equipped with BVs (now called CVs cooking vessels). They are more than tea makers. They are also used to heat rations so crews don’t have to dismount to eat.
Citizen Soldiers: The U S Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge Book by Stephen E. Ambrose
Entirely from the British perspective and side.
This may not fit the Op, so we can continue this elsewhere, however, this is not something i care deeply about. That is what i read, but I am not backing it.
Interesting and irrelevant fact; the captain in charge of the three or four tanks that managed to cross the Nijmegen bridge recieved the Military Cross for his actions; later he became Lord Carrington (a hereditary peer) and acted as UK Defence Secretary, Foreign Secretary and Secretary General of NATO.
Perhaps he could have pushed on with his three or four tanks and got the Victoria Cross instead; probably postumously.
I met him! He was chancellor of my university and awarded me my degree (c. 1993). My parents proudly displayed a picture of me in my gown/mortar board shaking his hand.
You can try wargaming the computer version and… it is not so easy. Perhaps I should give it another couple of tries.
Nothing in there about tea and coffee supplies, though if you click on the Equipment and Supplies tab (where you can see how much weapons and ammo a unit has) I presume it is included under “Basic” supplies.
Do you get the Victoria Cross for disobeying orders and suicidally sacrificing yourself and the men under your command?
Sometimes, yes. My uncle got the VC postumously for attacking several machine gun posts off his own back; probably because his own brother had just been killed. On the other hand, the only person he put in danger was himself.