Did Davey Crocket actually wear a coon skin cap and did they have any practical value?

Fellow I knew (also a politician) had a skunk-skin hat. And a sense of humour as did nis native friends.

What I recall reading about Crockett was that after his frontier days, he ran for congress. (He said, "even the crickets seem to be saying ‘Crockett for congress, Crockett for congress…’ ") As a candidate from the previous frontier area, I assume, he wore the hat as a demonstration of his folksy ways and “ordinary Joe” persona.

“Greenest state in the land of the free” I think.

There are lots of places on the internet selling genuine raccoon hats (among other animals). E.g. Glacier Wear - Fine Furs & Leather Since 1991

The American frontier and the old west created the superheroes to fill newspapers and dime novels of their day. They were like King Arthur and the knights of the round table of old. Davey Crocket and Daniel Boone were only 2. The rest were people like Grizzly Adams, Wild Bill Hickock, Buffalo Bill, Casey Jones, Billy the Kid, etc… Laura Ingalls Wilder was even part of that although set for children.

The common theme was they were all based on real people but had their stories elaborated on.

There’s a very real possibility that he did. Susanna Dickinson, wife of Lt. Almeron Dickinson and one of the few survivors of the Alamo massacre, stated that as she was taken out of the Alamo

The peculiar cap might have been a coonskin cap. It might have been a stovepipe top hat. But hey, it’s Crockett. He was known to wear a coonskin cap at times. And it was quite cold on the morning of March 6, 1836, so I’ll go with his wearing the cap when he died.

Oh, yes.

I bought a rabbit fur ushanka, and had to rescue it from the cat, who had it and was dragging it off to his lair. :stuck_out_tongue:

Atamasama…Aleuts made hats from whole skins of shelducks. And I am pretty sure that other native peoples in New Guinea used whole skins, but you are correct in that normally one doesn’t find hats made of whole bird skins.

Raccoon fur is very good for hats, still used to this day.

Though this one is rather more horrifying. :eek:

I have no idea if that ‘tail dangling down behind’ was a real style before the characaturists got ahold of his image, though …

Thanks for the info. Can you find examples? The closest I could find for Aleut hats are wooden hunting hats painted like shelducks with feathers decorating them. The hats I could find from New Guinea looked like bird of paradise but were satin decorated with feathers. I can’t find anything. :frowning:

The copy of Crockett’s autobiography I got off Project Gutenberg uses the name “David”. On the other hand, Crockett had very little formal education and wasn’t terribly literate. It’s possible he was a bit sloppy about the spelling of his own name, and people around him (friends, relatives, enemies) might have used “Davy” even if he himself did not.

Whether or not coonskins caps had tails (and/or heads) probably varied depending on who made it, the time, the location, and so forth.

in re: Davey v David, I regularly travel the David Crockett Highway, in the neighborhood of Winchester, TN. Just a data point.

I don’t know whether fur hats with tails were a thing, but I do know that fur stoles and scarves used to have the tails on, as a sort of tassel or decoration.

I recall my grandmother having a fox or coyote stole with the tail, and the head rigged with a spring clip so it could “bite” the other end to hold it in place.

You can see similar items in old movies and so forth.