Did David Bowie ever cover a song well?

Does that count? I mean, he was on the original track, so if anyone was doing a cover, it was Annie, not him.

Having said that, it was a stunning performance. Annie Lennox > everything. :slight_smile:

His performance of “America” at the Concert for New York City was quite good and very touching given the context.

I’ll stick up for the “Little Drummer Boy” duet with Bing Crosby if no one else will. I for one enjoy their version. It’s not traditional, it’s very of its time, and the urban legend about what Bowie did with everyone he ever dueted with kind of squicks me out a little, but I like it.

I’ll hate myself for asking, but what is the legend?

Put it this way: it’s very believable with Freddie Mercury or Mick Jagger, not so much with Bing Crosby. :eek:

I liked his cover of “Cactus.” Not as good as The Pixies, but still pretty good.

Bing would probably have beat him with a sack of sweet valencia oranges.

Hm. I know the first time I saw their version, on some VH1 Christmas video special or something, I don’t think I listened to the song as much as picked my jaw up off the ground. But yeah, it’s actually enjoyable.

And Bowie would have liked it, the sicko. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really like his “Alabama Song.” Between this and me liking “Que Sera Sera” in “The Man Who Knew Too Much,” I’m beginning to think I have bad taste!

Hell, I’ll go one further and say Bowie & Bing’s Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth is hands down my favorite Christmas song.

Another vote for the Easybeats’ Friday on my Mind,
negated by his horrible version of The Kinks’ Waterloo Sunset. His vocals aren’t too bad, but who the hell thought adding a bouncy horn section to that song was good idea?

This is only tangentially related to the thread topic, but I can’t resist mentioning (and highly recommending) The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions featuring Seu Jorge. Lovely acoustic covers of a bunch of David Bowie songs… in Portuguese!

I’d never heard it. YouTube to the rescue!

Not bad, but definitely odd. You have to wonder, every time they exchange a brief look, what they were thinking about.

SNL did a parody for “And So This is Chanukah” (transcript).

Bowie’s Penny Lane is not bad, but it’s really straightforward. I think it was quite early in his career - the arrangement is pretty much identical to the Beatles’ one

An interesting bit about Bowie is that he had done the Bing Crosby duet for TV less than a month before Crosby’s death, and also had been on TV singing with Marc Bolan less than a month (nine days) before his death- short clip here.

“Now, David, I just want you to know I’ve never done anything like this before.”

“Shu’ up and tighten the straps, old man!”

Agreed. It’s kind of a Young Americans style take on the song.

I like that a lot too. It sounds like what the original might have if it had been recorded a few years later when Syd Barrett was writing songs like “Scream Thy Last Scream”.

I like Bowie’s version of “Across the Universe”. His cover of “Pablo Picasso” by The Modern Lovers is great, and it’s a lot different from the original.

Can’t Explain kicks ass.

Bo kicks ass.

I popped in to mention his version of “Cactus”, but seeing as that’s taken I’ll go with his excellent cover of The Who’s “Pictures Of Lily”. And I liked “Across The Universe”.