Did Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" Album Get Played on Country Stations?

Anyone remember?

AFAIK, it wasn’t. Though it was country-tinged, it was not country enough for the country stations. It didn’t make the country charts (despite being #3 on the hot 100).

I didn’t listen to country stations back then, but I would guess it was not. That was a time when the gulf between rock and country was huge… basically, “hippies vs. rednecks”. So when the rock musicians started going country, it took awhile for the country fans to accept them.

Roger McGuinn tells the story of how the Byrds got an invite to the Grand Ole Opry in 1968, after recording the album Sweetheart of the Rodeo, widely considered as one of the first, if not the first, country-rock album. It didn’t go too well… he and Gram Parsons chronicled the experience in their song “Drug Store Truck Drivin’ Man”. (The spoken line “This one’s for you, Ralph” at the beginning refers to deejay Ralph Emery. Supposedly McGuinn and Parsons appeared on his show and he was not receptive. I don’t know how Emery really felt, but I presume he knew it wouldn’t play well with his audience to be fawning over hippies on the air.)