Did God tell someone in the OT that He was at work in other nations, too?

I seem to remember an Old Testament passage where God basically tells someone from the nation of Israel that He is at work in other nations as well.

But I can’t find the scripture. Am I misremembering?

The Daily Show played on this.

Samanthe Bee: God gave Israel to the Jews.
Rob Cordry: Now, wait a minute. The Muslims say God gave it to them!
Another Cast Member: But the Christians say that the Holy Land will be theirs!
All: What? God! You bastard!

Sorry, I don’t have a factual answer.

Apparently, from the scripture references, God had no problem dealing with people in other countries. Numbers, chapter 22, describes how God communicated with Balaam, a prophet in the country of Moab - a Gentile country. Not only that, but Balaam was a “general purpose” seer and communed with others besides “God.” The reason we know about Balaam is that it pertained directly to Israel, with which the Old Testament is primarily concerned.
Additionally, Jonah was sent to Nineveh to persuade them to turn from their ways, and Nineveh was also a Gentile city/state.
I’m sorry I cannot find the specific cite to which you refer (I believe I have read it, too), but at least there is evidence God had no problem with messing with the affairs of other nations.

Well, the general point to the book of Jonah is God working among the Assyrians (who were the equivalent of Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia to the Jews of the time). In Isaiah 45 and the Book of Esther, God works in and through Persian Emperors (Cyrus is the one person besides Saul, the Davidic Kings, and Jesus himself who is referred to as mashiakh, Messiah or Anointed One). Isaiah 40-55 pretty much speaks of a God whose rule and mercy is over all nations, calling Israel to be His Chosen People as example and atonement for the others.

2 Chronicles 20:6

Job 12:23

Psalm 46:9-10

Psalm 47:7-8

Psalm 67:4

According to Isaiah 19:19-25, Egypt and Assyria are destined to be blessed nations along with Israel:

Note: Assyria is Iraq :eek:

Well, it’s not the Old Testament, but Jesus said, in John 10:16 (KJV):

“And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, [and] one shepherd.”

Mormons are taught that he was referring to the Nephites in the Americas when he said this, and that’s what your question brought to mind, even though you specified Old Testament.