Did I just open myself to some sort of scam? Thoughts requested.

Not anymore it isn’t. I haven’t seen a store in years that would refund without having the original card that the payment was made with.

Even if that original card was NOT stolen, if the console goes bad, then the OP is up shit creek, even with the receipt.

Sorry, but that does not make sense. What happens when someone attempts to return an item that was received as a present? TThey’re SOL unless they can get the card from the purchaser, who may live quite some distance away?

If you get a gift receipt, you get store credit when you take the item back, or a straight exchange - broken item for fixed item. It’s a specific type of receipt you have to make sure to get from a lot of retailers.

Without a gift receipt, the cashier will have to call a floor manager, who will give you a rash and a shit for being “that person” and then give you store credit or an exchange.

What does **not **happen without the original payment card (at least not in my experience) is that they take the item back and you get money added to a bank or credit card account.

I was referring to warranty support, not direct-to-store returns.

That was my thought or he purchased it with a gift card. Or won it?

Same here.

Years ago I had preordered (and prepaid for) three hard to get hot clothing items (one for me and two for coworkers) who had assured me they wanted the item desperately. When the stock was delivered to the store and I went to collect their money, they were all excuses. I was stuck with two extra items I had prepaid for. Sure, I could have dealt with Ebay, but instead I approached a couple of people in the store and told them I had two extra (and why), the siza and if they paid me in cash my cost, it’s theirs. I showed them my receipt, we went outside and I unloaded my two extras.

No no no, I mean giving them out to people in line for that thing.

This is based on an urban legend. However, it wouldn’t be the first time that somebody heard an UL and thought that it was a good idea. Also, there’s a variation (which, apparently, has happened) where the burglars know the victims are at a particular event because they stole the victim’s car from the event and used the GPS in the car to find the house.

I took my daughter to an opera once a few years ago. As we were walking to the door she felt ill and decided she didn’t want to go. Being there, I tried to give them away.

There was a line to buy tickets with people standing in it. I went up to the line, waved the tickets and said anyone could have them for free.

No takers. They ended up in the garbage.

I can understand this though…you came to the opera to see the opera with a date or significant other. You don’t want to look cheap, or take the stress of taking the tickets and finding out it was some practical joke when you get tou your seats and they are taken…or have people show up and wonder why you are in their seats summoning management.

However, no-one taking them for free surprised me.

I’m not claiming it’s actually a practical caper to pull off. I’m saying that it’s well known enough that the BBB and other anti-scam websites warn about it, so people might turn down free tickets because they’re worried about it.

[Emily Litella]Never mind[/EL]

Not like these things are going to be rare. Just wait a few weeks. It can be an opportunity to teach your kid to deal with not getting instant gratification. He should just be grateful that you’re blowing 400 buck on him (even if you want it too). :slight_smile:

Bolding mine. Isn’t it a ration of shit?

I’ve always heard it as raft of shit.

It’s been a while since I have done this, but I used to buy stuff when first released and resold on eBay. Originally this almost always worked and allowed me to a make a nice profit. Anyway it is possible he was attempting to do this and was obligated to get it from the store to some degree. On the way over he checked the price on eBay and saw they were just going for around list - and so would probably lose money after eBay fees (I didn’t check what they were selling for).

Also could have had his wife give him grief, been doing it for a friend who changed their mind, several other legitimate things could have happened where he decided to maybe get a few dollars in credit card points as a consolation prize.

If you saw him getting it from a clerk - I seriously doubt it is a stolen card or something - as they wouldn’t go through the trouble of getting on some list for a product that just came out. They would buy an iPad or something like all the other crooks do.

Haven’t heard of that, but counterfeit tickets are a big problem in some areas. That’s why they have holograms nowadays, and need to be scanned before you can enter the venue.

BTW, DataX, does it work?