Did John le Carré rip off Graham Greene?

I watched the movie version of John le Carré’s The Taylor of Panama the other day, and the plot reminded me quite a lot of Graham Greene’s Our Man in Havana, which I had read as a novel before. Even if one concedes that stories involving spies and secret services always are somewhat similar to each other, I guess in this case very similar: Briton who somehow got stranded in corrupt Latin American country gets recruited by MI6 and dreams up the information he’s submitting to the service, then starts losing control over the situation. AFAIK Greene’s novel predates le Carré’s by decades; has Greene ever accused le C. of having plagiarized him?

It’s a homage to Our Man in Havana. It’s explicit. I haven’t my copy of the novel to hand, but I think it says so in so many words in Le Carré’s introductory notes. And Greene died (1991) prior to the book’s publication (1996).

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Hawthorne answered you, but to be fair, if you stick a pin in a world map, and a pin in ‘standard spy plots’ it won’t be that long until you hit latin america, invents intellegance.

I think I mean, “intellegence.” Doh.