did Johnny Cash do time?

It’s a simple question which I would generally say “of course he did” to. All I ever heard was that he acknowledged a dark past, and adopting the longtime persona of the Man In Black and all. One man’s struggle to overcome his criminal past, etc.
Then comes the actual argument of “did he or didn’t he”. And “are you sure you aren’t confusing him with Merle Haggard (who did time at San Quentin)” …
So what’s the story? Did he, and if he did then where, for what, and for how long?

Johnny Cash has never done time (though he has been arrested a few times). Merle Haggard, on the other hand, was in San Quentin for a few years.

Johnny Cash was arrested in '65 for narcotics but apparently got off. In '66, he spent a night in jail on a disorderly conduct charge.
That’s about it as far as jail time goes. He’s battled on and off throughout his career with drug & alcohol abuse.

He was born into a poor family and almost starved to death as a child.

A rough life, indeed.

He’s in poor health right now, in and out of hospitals.

I had thought that the only “time” he has done was one night in a drunk tank coming off some mixture of uppers and downers and booze (in the midst of a hectic tour).

I thought that Cecil covered this, but I didn’t find it in the archives.

Tom~

Tom’s right. In his autobiography, “Cash”, Johnny says he was locked up for the night once, “for his own good”, and that’s the only “time” he’s ever done.

PS-I’ve asked before, but I’ll ask again: If he “shot a man in Reno (Nevada) just to watch him die” why did he end up in Folsom Prison (California)?

And why does the “lonesome whistle” blow on a train going past Folsom Prison near Sacramento, California that is headed to San Antonio? And how does he know which train is which?

I’ll bet you guys look for movie mistakes, too. :slight_smile:

>< DARWIN >
__L___L

Another question: Why does Johnny Cash dress in black? IIRC he refuses to explain this fashion decision. Others have mentioned some sort of mysterious pledge he apparantly made. Who has the Straight Dope ™ on this one?

Have you seen him lately? Doesn’t look well. Shy-Drager (similar to Parkinson’s).

Johnny Cash explained why he dressed in black in a song called “Man In Black.”
Columbia Records released back during the time he had a TV show.

I really don’t know about Johnny Cash’s history. But there is a distinct difference between being in lock up and doing time. Doing time is serving out a sentence and lock up is temporary confinement until a preliminary judicial disposition is made. I’ve done both.

I hope this doesn’t make me sound like a bandit out of the wild, 'cause I’m not.

Regards,

beatle

JC originally began dressing in black to protest the war in Vietnam.

BobT–I’m less concerned about the train whistles then I am about the fact that he “shot a man in Reno”, Nevada, yet is doing time in a California state prison.

According to Johnny Cash, he spent the night in Starkville Co. jail for picking daisies. At least that’s how he explained it to the residents of Folsom.

—Nickrz

That’s what I undersood too. He also had a pretty good TV show which suffered some because of his “leftie” views. He even had some hippie acts on the show.
Peace,
mangeorge

—Nickrz

That’s what I undersood too. He also had a pretty good TV show which suffered some because of his “leftie” views. He even had some hippie acts on the show.
Peace,
mangeorge

Man In Black lyrics

Explains it all.

Perhaps what he said was “I shot a man in RENAL”. That would allow him to be incarcerated in California…

Sweet Basil