Did my bicycle tire cap vanish?

You keep the caps for Presta valves? I thought they were there to protect the tube while rolled up in the box.

Technically and arguably, you’re just right:

But my not-so-thoroughly-considered position on the whole thing is: if I didn’t do a great job of seating the valve as I tightened it – a) shame on me, and b) the cap might give just an extra measure of insurance – particularly on an MTB ride though trees – against something bumping it or sticking in the spokes in such a way that I get an … er … unintended release.

I piss off weight weenies to no end and clearly upset the balance on my rims, but – hey: that’s just how I roll.

I put enough sealant in my tubes to definitely offset any weight gains from throwing the cap. Tomato-tomatoh :wink:

Sorry to disagree but I have it on good authority that socks disappearing in the dryer have fallen into a wormhole; they reappear at the other end as navel lint.

I have bad TDS…(task distraction syndrome)…inflating a bike tire outside, I might notice a plant nearbye that needs attention. The bike cap then is left at the water faucet, until I get back on track and retrace my steps to find it. Its a problem at work sometimes, but Ive gotten better at instant workarounds…like pockets!!!
I seem to daily lose my smarty pants phone ? It just leaves and hides somewhere.
I have another flip phone to call it and make it return.

According to the quantum theory of hosiery, socks are an indivisible unit. As soon as enough fluff builds up in the lint trap of the dryer, and single sock disappears.

A bit more seriously, I have a trick that prevents socks from going missing in the dryer. Anyone can do it.

Yeah but mesh laundry bags are boring. It’s so much more fun to wonder where the missing sock went.

If I’m working with small things and cats in the room, everything goes in my pockets. Those worthless beasts don’t even have to be close to a tiny screw for it to come up missing. Everything goes into my pockets when I’m outside because the neighbors let their coyote food roam around as well.

That’s not the trick.

I match up my socks in pairs before I start doing a load of laundry. It seems that if I put pairs of socks in the dryer, I always have pairs of socks when they come out.

I’m as absent-minded as anybody. I’ve done all the things that people are describing in this thread. And they would drive me nuts every time. So I started trying to figure out why this stuff happens, and how I can head it off before it does. It ain’t perfect, sometimes it helps.

That sounds like an awful lot of work.

I mean, if it works for you, that is great. I’m just pretty lazy and would probably forget to dig through the laundry for socks. I have two mesh bags hanging on my main clothes hamper. One is for socks and the other is for bras. Sadly, my granny panties are far too big to disappear in the laundry.

I had the opposite problem. I started working at The University of Chicago in 1975. The first office I was in was burglarized and a clock radio and electric typewriter were stolen.

In 1983 we moved to Yale. Several years after moving, my electric typewriter showed up in a seldom used closet.

I’m quite sure the typewriter was in my office and not in our apartment. The latter was very small with very limited closet space. Even had it been in my apartment, how could I have loaded it onto the U-Haul and unloaded it off the U-Haul and not noticed.

I go through the dirty clothes and make sure I’ve got a load that are similar colors and wash in the same temperature, and that the pockets are empty. Maybe it’s a little more work in advance, but it saves me the aggravation of having missing socks when they come out of the dryer.

The things is, I still have orphan socks, but I discover them when I’m starting a load of laundry, not when it’s done. It’s psychologically fascinating that everyone blames the dryer for eating a sock when the reality is that there were never two socks in there to begin with.

And this is why our methods are so different. I’m way too lazy for all of that. I am not going to dig through dirty clothes to checks pockets and look for socks. That just isn’t going to happen cause when I am forced to do laundry, all I want to do is get it over with. All of the emptying pockets and sorting colors is done before things go into their dirty clothes holders.

But, that’s just me, one person just doing my own laundry and nobody else’s. I did that for a couple of years and wow, what a PITA.

I’m sort of the other way around. When I finally get off my ass to do something, I want to do it properly. So I sort somewhat by color and temperature, check the pockets, undo the buttons, and if I’m at my true persnickety best I’ll even turn the socks inside-out while pairing them up. All of which is a pain in the ass. Which makes me more likely to procrastinate and not do the laundry at all.

Did you wear gloves? If so, look in the glove.

I bicycle a lot and have for quite a few years. The last time I moved, I found a couple-three dozen tire caps around the house. And about the same number of the nuts that hold the stem in place. There aren’t as many now, but I’ve only lived here a couple years.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately no.

And not necessarily your own?

Don’t wash your socks?

Our socks don’t get missing in the dryer. Actually, I don’t even have a dryer. Our socks (rhetorical plural: it is always just one) disappear in the washing machine.

I rented a metal detector yesterday to scan the yard for the ring, and couldn’t find it. Although finding it would have been nice, the fact that I didn’t, after a fairly careful scan of places it might have been, as well as everywhere else in the front yard that it couldn’t have been, makes me hopeful it might have come off my hand somewhere inside the house. Which means we may find it some say.

I STILL BLAME YOU GUYS!