Did old Doctor Who have that much "time travel" in it?

I’ve only seen New Who, so I’m wondering how it was. Yes, I know what you’re thinking, “Uh, it’s a show about a time traveler.” What I mean, is that during the RTD era, there was very little time travel during each episode, unless, of course, Moffat wrote it. They were generally, “The Doctor travels here, something happens, then he travels some where else at the end of the episode.” No,w with Moffat at the helm, the Doctor is zipping all around multiple times in each episode. It’s all “timey-wimey.” Which I absolutely love.

So was it ever like that during the original run? Or was it “Go here, do something, do somewhere else.”

The 3rd Doctor (Pertwee) was exiled to Earth for much of his run. And I’m pretty sure the 4th and 5th Doctors (Tom Baker, Peter Davison) didn’t do much time-hopping, either - they’d go somewhere new each episode, but I don’t recall tons of hopping here and there within each episode. I don’t really recall about the others.

As I recall, the stories were mostly if not entirely “TARDIS arrives, The Doctor takes care of whatever situation he was dropped in the middle of, TARDIS leaves at end of story.” No time travel used to resolve a situation, just to bring The Doctor into the conflict.

Yeah, it’s rare that they did much travelling in the TARDIS during a story at all, let alone actual time travel. And since it was serialized with most stories being 4-6 episodes long, they’d very rarely travel twice in the same hour, let alone twice in the same episode, so, relatively speaking, even ignoring episodes like A Christmas Carol, where he time travelled as part of resolving the story, there’s a lot more in the new series than the old, hour for hour.

Yep, they more or less arrived and stayed in one spot for the episode(series of episodes, actually).

This was budgetary, right?

IIRC, that’s true - but I did like the interaction with the members of UNIT very much, so I personally think it was a good solution. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to remember - was it part of Tom Baker’s run where the TARDIS was really unreliable and would just drop them wherever, so they didn’t use the “let’s get into the TARDIS and travel back in time just a little bit and prevent the whole thing from happening” reason as a result?

For the First Doctor, the Tardis controls were very erratic and it did not always show up where and when he planned to go. In addition, he could not go back to a time he’d already visited. Thus it was always a crapshoot when he threw the switch.

The time travel angle, BTW, was there so the Doctor could visit historical periods on Earth; early episodes alternated between science fiction and straight historical adventure. The historical stories phased out quickly (anything with a historical background ended up dealing with aliens or other science fiction tropes). The last one was “Black Orchid” in 1982, with the Fifth Doctor, but even then that was an anomaly; it was the first since “The Highlanders” in 1966.

As mentioned, the Third Doctor was exiled to Earth for a season or so, so all adventures took place in 1980s UK (ten years after their actual air date).

The Fifth Doctor added a randomizer after the Key to Time in season 16, so there was even less control over where he was going.

The show occasionally went to more than one time frame. “The Chase,” with the First Doctor, visited several different locations in time and space as the Doctor was being chased by Daleks. When a companion becomes separated, the Doctor establishes that he cannot visit the same location twice (though the companion gets aboard the Dalek time ship and catches up that way).

After that, I think the next multi-time adventure was “City of Death” with the Fourth Doctor. It’s set primarily in Paris, but the Doctor makes two jaunts – one to visit Leonardo da Vinci and another back to the origin of life on Earth. Douglas Adams was involved with the script, and he was more than willing to ignore continuity when necessary (fans hate the way he handled the regeneration of Romana).

So, nearly all original Doctor Who episodes involved the Doctor materializing somewhere and staying there until the problem was solved. It started with the basic premise of the show, and never really changed.

I read somewhere that it was because the producers wanted to give DW more of a “Quatermass” feel. Could be wrong though…

ISTR that the switch to color film at the beginning of the Pertwee era drove up the cost per episode, so the UNIT stories made setbuilding and costumes less expensive. That being said, the Pertwee episode “The Daemons” IS pretty much just “Quatermass and the Pit” with the serial numbers filed off.

There were several stories in which time travel was a major part. Here’s a few:
1st Doctor - The Chase

2nd Doctor - Evil Of The Daleks

3rd Doctor - Day of the Daleks

4th Doctor - City Of Death

5th Doctor - Mawdryn Undead

From the Fourth Doctor:

Pyramids of Mars - 1910’s (They did mention the exact year but I forget what it was)

Masque of the Mandragora - Renaissance Italy

Talons of Weng-Chiang - 1880’s London

Horror of Fang Rock - 1890’s England

City of Death - Leonardo DaVinci’s studio, and also billions of years ago.

Other than City of Death, they do travel multiple times in each of those?

In *Talons *the main baddie is a war criminal from the future who has time travelled into the past to evade capture. A lot of the action concerns him trying to steal a cabinet from someone’s private museum, which is his time machine in disguise. So that one I’d grant has a substantial element of time travel in it. The others, not so much.

Peter Morris already talked about Talons, but I have to add that there is more time travel in Pyramids of Mars than just the initial jaunt to the past. The Doctor and Sarah Jane (and Scarman) go back to 1980 so that the Doctor can show Sarah that if they don’t stop Sutekh her version of the future will never have existed. The conclusion of the story depends on a “temporal trap” set by the Doctor, made possible by the TARDIS traveling to Earth instantaneously (which is technically time travel) while a radio signal took 2 minutes to arrive from Mars.

It was the Fourth Doctor who did this, when he traveled with Romana II. After disbanding the Key to Time, he couldn’t afford to know where he was going as the Black Guardian was chasing after him.

“The Masque of Mandragora” with Tom Baker was the first Dr. Who I ever saw. I surfed by it and stopped because it looked at first like something out of PBS, some historical costume drama. Then it got interesting!

No, the producers made the conscious decision to retool the show by making it an edgier earth-bound sci-fi/action series. Budgets didn’t enter into it. They still had to build new sets for each story (whether it’s set in space or on earth doesn’t make a difference), and they staged some very ambitious gun battles and stuntwork in the UNIT adventures.

Did you happen to actually see it on PBS? That’s the only way I ever saw old Who before NuWho came out.

I watched Baker’s Dr. Who on the local PBS affiliate long ago.