Did Royal Raymond Rife find a cure for cancer?

General rule: If you read about it in an unsolicited email, it’s phony.

Isn’t that how the sonic toothbrushes claim (or did claim) to work? I sort of remember that Sonicare made that claim when they first came out in the late 1980s. I know they don’t make that claim anymore, because I recently had to replace mine after ten years of faithful service, and now the box and the instruction sheet make no mention of this wondrous effect whatsoever. However, I used to own another brand named Ultrasonex that made that very claim—that the sonic waves killed oral bacteria. Even my dentist vouched for them. To be fair though, it’s possible that both brands simply claimed to loosen or somehow disrupt the biofilm.

His invention sounds more likely to cause cancer than cure it!

They called him “The Bottom-Feeder” - but never to his face. :eek:

I’m pretty sure DarrenS has figured out that Raymond’s invention is bunk sometime in the past 12 years. Or in the 2 years since this zombie was last re-animated. :smiley:

This quote:

makes me think of that stupid Airborne product, which proudly claims that it was “invented by an elementary school teacher!” Sorry, but that doesn’t inspire confidence in your product.

The episode centered around the conflicts between the two and the problems with this particular non-scientist trying, even with significant assistance, to get reliable results.

One notable part featured issues with the inventor not following proper scientific testing procedures* while treating the samples and this causing the data to be invalid. He also apparently felt like the scientist was moving the goalposts, always demanding more tests, while from the scientific point of view, between the flawed tests and insufficient data, more testing really was needed. So maybe, possibly, it might have promise. Or it might not.

• One example off the top of my head, I may be misremembering slightly: The data “showed” the sound-treated samples to have less growth than the control group. But the control group was left in the incubator during the several hours’ worth of treatments, and the treated group was sitting out the whole time. Or was it perhaps intense heat (stronger than the incubator) from the treatment equipment that was slowly killing the treated cells - which won’t be a good technique to use on a living being - while the control cells got to sit in ideal conditions for growth the whole time?

Your reading comprehension is absolutely terrible, It’s not a story I made up it’s from a documentary I can post the link if you like. My postion is not of belief in RR I merely said it was an interesting documentary. Again it’s not my story it’s from a documentary

So I take it you don’t really believe what you posted then?

Royal Rife is championed in “Natural Cures ‘They’ Don’t Want You To Know About” by Kevin Trudeau.

Says it all, doesn’t it?

Give the guy a break, he’s Just Asking Questions.

My apologies then. I didn’t recognize a question in jaketheweight’s first post (and really still haven’t found a question in it).

It just seemed to me at first he was posting something he thought to be true, and his second post confused me with regards to whether or not he actually believed it.

I’m still not really sure…Does he really believe what he posted? I can’t tell.

When ‘Just Asking Questions’ is capitalized, this is what it means:

It’s pretty much a term of art in some circles, especially among the people who deal with conspiracy nutcases on a regular basis.

I’ll agree that a lot of this sounds dubious on the surface but don’t be too quick to dismiss all of it. This radionics is precisely what happens with ultraviolet germicidal radiation, a time proven process (Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation - Wikipedia).
It’s a different, but specific, wavelength and the cell doesn’t rupture, but rather, the nucleus is rendered non-functional. In that respect I’d say that the concept holds water, although you can’t use it in the presence of living tissue and avoid doing damage to that. I would like to see a test where they separate blood components keeping the blood cells safe while irradiating the virus particles contained in the remaining serum. This separation is easily done. Another part I’d like to learn more about is whether in fact the telescope in question did more than what people claim is possible with conventional optics. But so far I see a lot of testimonials and not much substance.

Bullshit. Re-read your wiki link. UV radiation causes DNA damage to all cell types: bacteria, healthy human cells, cancer cells, doesn’t matter. “Radionics” has nothing to do with UV radiation, and has no plausible mechanism to affect only cancer cells.

Wow, a thrice-revived zombie thread! This must be some sort of record.

Moderator Note

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Board, srobi.

Please note that this thread was started many years ago, and the post in particular that you are replying to was made in 2001 (12 years ago). We tend to call threads that have been revived like this “zombies” so don’t be too surprised if you see a few zombie jokes as a result of your reply here.

Note that we don’t mind zombies here on the SDMB as long as you add something useful to the conversation. Just be aware that many of the original thread participants may not even be around any more to respond to your comments.

The rest of you can read about Morris Fishbein’s decades-long quest against “goat gland” quack John R. Brinkley in Charlatan: America’s Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam. Fishbein couldn’t take action against Brinkley or other quacks directly, since they obviously stayed out of the AMA. But he could crusade in the pages of the Journal of the AMA and in the popular medical magazine they printed, Hygieia. He also could put pressure on state medical boards to pull their licenses. (Which they often refused to because of political pressure coming from the vast amount of money the quacks brought in, far more than mere doctors.)

Fishbein was not a saint or even a tzadik. He had a tremendous ego, loved his little fiefdom, and stayed overlong with conservative practices in an age of medical advances. But he was also right about quacks. Brinkley made the mistake of suing him for libel and managed to lose the case in his home town before a jury of people who benefited from the money he was bringing into town. If an actual doctor doing conventional medicine opposed Fishbein, that doctor was probably right. But someone outside the system who never allowed others to independently test his outlandish claims opposed him, he was certainly wrong.

A whole parallel world of “suppressed” cancer cures exists. Cheap, noninvasive, and 100% effective. So why is nobody using them anywhere? Why wouldn’t a rogue country set themselves up as the cancer cure capital of the world? Why wouldn’t a religious body gain ten million adherents as providers of a miracle cure? Why wouldn’t doctors use it on their loved ones, for that matter? If it were real, how could a thousand AMAs keep it hidden? The answer is the same as the why in all conspiracy theories. The theory is wrong, and the cure doesn’t exist. Sad and simple.

Haven’t heard of Hulda Clark before, but I have to say what’s on her wiki page does not inspire confidence:

Regarding the effectiveness of her treatment, Clark wrote, “The method is 100% effective in stopping cancer regardless of the type of cancer or how terminal it may be. It follows that this method must work for you, too, if you are able to carry out the instructions.”

Clark died 3 September 2009 from blood and bone cancer.

:person_shrugging:

Readers will be glad to know that they can still buy Rife machines online. eBay is a fertile source; you can even get a Rife machine with built-in Hulda Clark frequencies.

There may not be a specific frequency for vanquishing zombies, but surely something on this list works.