Did the Rus only come from Sweden or is it just a tidy explanation of which Vikings went East?

Hi

Did the Rus only come from Sweden or is it just a tidy explanation of which Vikings went East? I understand the Western Vikings came from Denmark and Norway.

I look forward to yopur feedback.
davidmich

“The Vikings were known as Ascomanni, ashmen, by the Germans,[6] Lochlanach (Norse) by the Gaels and Dene (Danes) by the Anglo-Saxons.
The Slavs, the Arabs and the Byzantines knew them as the Rus’ or Rhōs, probably derived from various uses of rōþs-, i.e., “related to rowing” or derived from the area of Roslagen in east-central Sweden, where most of the Vikings who visited the Slavic lands came from. Some archaeologists and historians of today, believe that these Scandinavian settlements in the Slavic lands played a significant role in the formation of the Kievan Rus’ federation, and hence the names and early states of Russia and Belarus.[7][8][9] The modern day name for Sweden in several neighboring countries is possibly derived from rōþs-, Ruotsi in Finnish and Rootsi in Estonian.
The Slavs and the Byzantines also called them Varangians (ON: Væringjar, meaning sworn men from var- “pledge, faith,” related to Old English wær “agreement, treaty, promise,” Old High German wara “faithfulness”[10]). Scandinavian bodyguards of the Byzantine emperors were known as the Varangian Guard.”

The latter. Most were probably from the east just due to geography. But there wasn’t a great deal of differentiation between Scandinavians at that point and a decentralized political culture led to a lot of movement. Also remember Denmark would eventually include what is today southern Sweden from at least the days of Gorm the Old ( and if you want go legendary back to Ragnar Lodbrok and Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye ) until the 17th century. And that the most famous Varangian was almost certainly Harald Hardrada, later king of Norway and challenger for the English throne. It has even been suggested that the ruling dynasty of East Anglia was from what is today modern Sweden, though I believe that is considered highly speculative.

You always write the best posts about history, Tamerlane.