Did they neuter my Robutussin?

Anybody else kill time as an adolescent getting wasted on Robutussin DM cough syrup?

I’ve been told from reliable sources that whatever euphoric agent was there in the 80’s has been taken out, leaving a sadly diminished toxic-cherry flavored sludge.

Anyone know what that miracle ingredient was, and why it’s not there anymore (other than the most obvious explanation that kids were getting smashed on it)?

still dry-heaving when I smell cherry lifesavers,

Inkz

Nah, I friend of mine still does that…but he has to use maximum strangth. About 4 oz. does the trick…

As for the active ingredient, I couldn’t tell you…

Pippy

I remember about 1990 the bottles all started saying “New non-narcotic formula”… I haven’t tried it since then.

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: fathom.org/teemingmillions

The AI was codeine. The other ingredient that was possibly there to minimize the abuse of codeine was guafenesin {sp???} which, in sufficient quantity, made you itch like there was no tomorrow.

It’s alcohol in that there cough syrup that screws you up. I never personally did this, but I knew kids who did. I, having several older siblings, always had someone willing to buy me real liquor when I needed it.

Actually, there were two ‘active’ ingrediants in Robitussin. One is a cough supressant, the other is an expectorant. If I recall my ingrediants correctly, the supressant currently is dextromethorphan hydrobromide, the expectorant is guaifenesin.

I don’t know this for certain, but I seriously doubt that any product with codeine in it was available over the counter. However, they may have had alchohol in it, common in some syrup medicines.

It was the hydrobromide that’s the active druggie ingredient, but since they’ve added the guan-stuff, you can’t drink enough to get a buzz with the hydrobromide before you throw up from a guan overdose.

I found that on hyperreal.org :slight_smile:

lovelee

I recall reading a few years ago in Consumer Reports. They found OTC cough medicine to be about as effective as water.

The ‘active’ ingredient was a form of synthetic codeine. I knew a guy back in my High School years who aquired the nickname ‘Robie’ from the practice of downing entire bottles.

I worked one summer at a resort cottage in Wisconsin’s upper penninsula. One night a group of my cow-orkers decided that they wanted to give it a try. I wasn’t particularly interested, so I became the designated ‘shepherd’. If you want an idea of what it was like, rent the movie Young Guns and fast forward to the payote scene. They each chugged a bottle before leaving the cottages. Two of the guys threw up almost immediately and tried to convince the others that it was an incredible experience in itself. We then went out to a local golf course and let everyone play out their experience under the stars. The reason I compare it to payote, is that everyone went on their own trip (IMHO based on their personality). One girl spent most of the night marveling at the intricacy of tree leaves. One of the guys kept dissapearing into the distance, only to run up to the group screaming ecstatically and then running off again. By far, the favorite past-time was to join hands and run around as fast as possible.

The downside was that none of them were able to sleep a wink for two days, the ‘high’ lasted longer than 14 hours and some of the hallucinations weren’t altogether pleasant.

Stephen
Stephen’s Website
Satellite Hunting 1.1.0 visible satellite pass prediction
shareware available for download at
Satellite Hunting

Wisconsin’s upper peninsula?

Well, ‘upper’ may have slipped in as a result of 1 bottle of Riesling. The events occurred in Door County. The names have been omitted to protect the guilty.

Stephen
Stephen’s Website
Satellite Hunting 1.1.0 visible satellite pass prediction
shareware available for download at
Satellite Hunting

Robitussin Maximum Strength Cough (That’s COUGH not COUGH AND COLD.) only has dextromethorphan HBr and no guaifenesin. In large doses, dextromethorphan acts as a dissociative like ketamine or PCP. Here’s a FAQ:

http://www.frognet.net/dxm/contents.html

Also, here’s a funny little article published in Harper’s about Dextromethorphan use.

http://nepenthes.lycaeum.org/Drugs/DXM/poormanspcp.html

We always used Romilar CF. What a great buzz!
The chief obstacle was avoiding the almost irresistable desire to throw up for about five minutes after chugging a bottle.
Dextromethorphan, where is thy sting?

My husband and his friends used to take large doses of Dramamine (about 18 pills or so) to get high. I tried it once, and had very disturbing hallucinations and felt sick for several days afterwards. Thank God we had appointed a “babysitter” to keep an eye on us, or I probably would have burned down the house trying to get rid of the three foot tall ninja.

“The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” Albert Einstein

Athena: it definitely is NOT the alcohol. Trust me. I’ve been drunk, and I’ve done Robitussen, and there is no similarity at all. The DM is what does it now, but it was better back before they announced the new “non narcotic” formula :frowning:

It did make you puke though, and the urge didn’t go away for hours if you didn’t give in. Once you threw up, life was good again, if it was in slow motion…

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: fathom.org/teemingmillions