Did you actually listen to the words of the song?

I’d be happier if you just stuck to that one song :slight_smile:

OK, a lot of the rest I can understand, but that whole song was about being knocked up. What did she think it was about?

Im hearing it as "“Well I’m not the world’s most masculine man, but I know what I am and I’m GLAD im a man, so is Lola.”

Which still leaves it open about Lola, although it is still likely that she isn’t a girl.

This is very square. :wink: Anyway, I don’t see why the song can’t be interpreted as a critique of people who sit around waiting for the world to change.

One song that I liked that I never really paid attention to was “The Hook Draws you Back” (I think) by the blues travelers (again, I think). I remember thinking it was decent on the radio and then one afternoon my wife was playing it on the guitar and singing it.

It was only then that I paid attention to what was being said. I found the lyrics hysterical. :slight_smile:

Oh very well.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this song was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek jab at the people who have this attitude.

I remember someone once posted here that they were at a wedding where someone used ‘‘It’s the End of the World as We Know It’’ by REM for the first dance.

wtf?

“In trouble deep”-- she thought they broke curfew or something. “I’m going to keep my baby”-- Madonna wasn’t going to break up with her boyfriend even though her Dad didn’t like him.

“American Woman” is another one of those songs that I keep hearing in quasi-patriotic contexts, especially after Lenny Kravitz remade it.

Of course, the song was written by the Guess Who, a Canadian band, and includes such gems as: "I don’t need your war machines, I don’t need your ghetto scenes.

In the early 70s, a couple of friends of mine asked me to sing “That’s The Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be” at their wedding ceremony. :eek: I talked them out of it. Complete lyrics here. A sample:

Or laughable, as Linda Ronstadt singing Michael Nesmith’s Different Drum.

Another stalker song, albeit probably never used at a wedding: Bob Seger’s Down On Main Street.

Maybe they were hoping that their children will hate them. That’s worse than I’ll Be Watching You. Another favorite dumb wedding song is Earth Wind & Fire’s Reasons. As far as I can tell (since EW&F lyrics frequently confound me) it’s a song about a one night stand.

You know, Biggirl, Michael was only 13 when he recorded that, so he probably didn’t know what it meant either. Of course, considering his life, he still may not know what it means. And in 1969, he recorded “Who’s Lovin’ You,” one of my favorite J5 songs ever and he was only 11. Like he was sittin’ around wonderin’ who was lovin’ his ex.

As for me, although the words couldn’t be more clear, I never understood “Afternoon Delight.” It was just a catchy song to sing along with. I was 12.

Oh, I don’t know. That line about “Boys will be girls and Girls will be Boys” seems to nail it down pretty clearly in my mind. I’m amazed the song got as much air time as it did when it was first released. I think a lot of people , even station managers, don’t listen too closely to lyrics.
The one that drives Pepper Mill nuts is all the people who play “I Will Always Love You” at their weddings. Even if you’re listeming to the Whitney Houston “Fire Alarm” version, iy ought to be clear this song is about a breakup.
http://www.sappylovesongs.net/IWillAlwaysLoveYou.html

I also adore Whose Loving You. His voice was clear as a bell back then and it’s fun to sing. I think there’s a whole 'nother thread we could start about inappropriate songs sung by youngsters.

I thought Afternoon Delight was about candy. Really. About eating candy during the day.

I love that version. I think a girl calling a dude “pretty” and “honey child” is kind of sexy in a catty way and a show of power too, pretty being a diminuitive word. This plays well with the whole “liberated woman seizing life” vibe in the LR version. I think it makes the song super sexy, but then I dig powerful women.

Bruce Springsteen doesn’t play “Born in the USA” in the style of the popular (largely unintelligible) single version anymore. It’s always the stripped-down, protest ballad version now, which is quite powerful.

I always thought the line from “Lola” was, “I know what I am in my bed, I’m a man, and so’s Lola.” Is there no final authority on this?

The authorities’ll get to it as soon as they finish deconstructing Louie, Louie.

It may be a while yet.

I don’t know who the final authority would be, but once I understood it as “I’m a man and so is Lola,” the parts about almost breaking the guy’s spine and sitting him on her knee made more sense. :smiley:

I vaguely remember hearing it was kinda based on their manager dancing with a transvestite…but sorry, no cite for that.