That’s like virtual insanity.
Thank God we hit those 5.3% odds of surviving!
It could have ruined today’s eclipse.
I tossed one of my smokes in the air; the Earth was now a cigarette lighter.
I’m goin.
Since there isn’t any actual physical process that corresponds to “losing gravity”, it depends on what kind of magic is being proposed. If the earth suddenly became massless, things would indeed fly off in a straight line due to their velocity. It wouldn’t be anything like “rising to the ceiling” though. At 45 degrees latitude, objects would fly off at about 700 miles per hour. It’s best to be at one of the poles when this event happens. Also, it wouldn’t be just loose objects that would fly off. The Earth’s crust itself would fly apart and the whole planet would start to dissociate into a ring system. After 7.3 seconds the upper crust and everything on it would be more than a mile above the original surface (depending on latitude), and when gravity returned, everything would fall from that height. It’s hard to see how any material object on the surface could survive that event.
Also, if the Earth became massless, it would no longer interact with the Sun’s gravity. It would head off in a straight line tangent to its old orbit. I’m not sure exactly what its trajectory would be after 7.3 seconds of this and then returning to normal mass, but I doubt it would return to its original orbit.
Yeah, almost assuredly a superlatively bad day. “Floating” wouldn’t describe it at all.
I survived! That’s $89 billion well-spent! Thanks, NASA!
In the UK, our uninterruptible gravity supply (UGS) kicked in smoothly and we weren’t
affected.
If two equally massive bodies exist in close proximity, one of them losing gravity will be OK because the other body will compensate. The Earth did lose gravity today but nobody noticed thanks to your mom.
The First Law is really more of a suggestion
This is completely, absolutely, terribly wrong, A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
I got up to feed the cats at 1300 UCT, then went back to bed for a couple hours. Slept through the whole thing.
Okay. I snort/laughed. That’s a good geek mom joke. Cheers on a job well done!
I got stuck on the ceiling fan. Send help.
I looked it up, and surprisingly XKCD (Randall Munroe ) has not covered this specifically. ![]()
I threw my kids off a building, but I did the conversation of the time zones wrong.
My bad.
Factually incorrect! As a non-Catholic, I’ve been massless my whole life, except for, ummm, lemme count - four weddings & one funeral. I returned to my original orbit, & more surprisingly, was not struck by lightning when entering the church.
Would you like me to send someone around to help you.
The Earth actually did lose gravity at 14:33, but the loss lasted only .07 seconds instead of the expected 7 seconds due to a math mistake. That’s why everyone burped up a little of their breakfast this morning.
More than once, actually.
Yes, I died. I think making fun of those of us that died is in very poor taste. ![]()
You know, it would be… appropriate that it would be one of OUR posters that managed to provide the first proof of existence beyond death, by haunting this board to provide “Well, actually…” on every single thread on post-biological existence until the heat-death of the universe, getting to live on a pedestal of smugness based on unimpeachable yet otherwise unverifiable information.