Did you get any good books for Christmas?

As a companion thread to the Whatcha Readin I thought we could share what books we got. I got:

Heat Wave (Nikki Heat) by Richard Castle
Sandman Slim: A Novel by Richard Kadrey
The Golden City: A Novel (Fourth Realm Trilogy) by John Twelve Hawks
Midwinter by Matthew Sturges .

I got some good ones for Hanukkah.

Cartoon History of the Modern World by Larry Gonick. I’ve been waiting for it since I read the first Cartoon History in 1991.

Catastrophe by David Keys.

Mrs. Lebeef got me a first edition of The Horror in the Museum and Other Collaborations by Lovecraft and others.
It’s pretty awesome.

My daughter shopped from my Amazon wish list:

Unforgiven and The Searchers by Alan LeMay
Albion’s Seed: Four British Folkways in America
The Ballad of Trenchmouth Taggart by M. Glenn Taylor

Can we list DVDs too? I made out like a bandit!

The Pallisers (BBC series)
The George Eliot Collection, five movies, including Middlemarch
Up
The Hangover
Freaks and Geeks
and the first two seasons of The Big Bang Theory

“The Book of Genesis Illustrated” by R. Crumb.

I got Stephen King’s Under the Dome and Colum McCann’s Let the Great World Spin.

I’m a little torn because I would love to start on these both right away, but I have a big pile from the library of titles I’m also looking forward to, so those feel more timely. But I have to read the Stephen King while on vacation, I couldn’t carry it to work every day on the train!

I got the Tales of the Beanworld recent edition hardcover trilogy. Book 3 is all new material.
Hoka Hoka Hey!

I got Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and Hoodwinked by John Perkins. I’m really excited to read Outliers. The other I’m not so sure about.

Yes! i got Turtle Bunbury’s “Dublin Docklands”. Quite fascinating.:slight_smile:

I got one about “Why Your Cat Doesn’t Like You.” My daughter borrowed it to read & left it in Auckland. :mad:

I also got “Girls Like Us” a biography of Carole King, Joni Mitchell & Carly Simon. I’m enjoying it so far though a lot of it is speculative ( I believe only Carly Simon cooperated with the writing)

Franklin Library limited edition Sot-Weed Factor, signed!!

I was shocked.

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout, Old Filth by Jane Gardam, and Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCan.

I enjoyed this book a lot, and gained a lot of admiration for Carole King in her early years!

*The Zombie Survival Guide *by Max Brooks.

Roads to Quoz: An American Mosey by William Least Heat-Moon

Ooh, I still need to read that.

I got The Associate by John Grisham, and I’m about 1/4 of the way in.

I have (literally) two yards of books I haven’t read yet. (I get them at my local dollar store. I just counted, and there are 43 books in two piles, almost all of them hardbacks, that I got for a buck apiece.)

I also have a thing for unusual reference books. My collection includes such useful tomes as The Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins, the Dictionary of Euphemisms and Doubletalk, the Bliss Dictionary of Foreign Words and Phrases in Current English Usage, and many more. My wife just added one to my collection at Xmas this year that I think will come in very handy for me as a writer:

Talk the Talk: The Slang of 65 American Subcultures, by Luc Reid.

Not quite A to Z, it has the lingo of groups from Anime and Manga Fans to Witches, Wiccans and Neo-Pagans. If I ever need to write a character who is (for example) a parapsychologist, this book should help me make her sound authentic.

I’m sure it won’t qualify in a lot of people’s minds, but I got Scrum Bums, and I can’t wait to get to it.

If you like it, be sure to follow it up with World War Z. It’s a Studs Terkel-style collection of interviews with a variety of people who survived a zombie apocalypse, covering everything from its Patient Zero to the ongoing mop-up operations. I found it riveting.

Everything You Know About Indians is Wrong by Paul Chaat Smith, and
How to Think About Weird Things: Critical Thinking for a New Age by Theodore Schick

I’m looking forward to reading both of them, but have no idea when I’ll get around to either of them: they join the pile of 17 other books that are waiting to be read. grin I might actually pick up How to Think About Weird Things next, though.

I keep meaning to put that on my Amazon list! I shall do so right now. :slight_smile: