Did you go to a school named after a historic figure?

Grant school. Named after General Grant. This was a one-room country school, all 8 grades together, way back in 1936. My Mother was the teacher, and I was a first grader. Mothers are rather strict.

I remember we had twenty students unless Otter Creek came up, and then we were down to seven.

All the public schools I can think of where I grew up (a suburb of Johnstown, PA) were named for the boroughs where they were located. There were a few Catholic schools that were named after saints: St. Clement’s and St. Andrew’s come to mind.

Chaminade? The one in Mineola? I knew a couple of guys who went there, many decades ago.

My elementary, junior high, high school and University all sported the name of the towns they were located in. Bumfuck Elementary, (same town) Bumfuck Junior High, (different) Bumfuck High School, (different and practically) Bumfuck U. FWIW, All in northern California

My elementary school was named after a local historical figure.

My middle school and my high school were both named after their neighbourhoods.

I spent 8 years at an elementary school whose name was obviously someone’s last name. In all that time, no one mentioned this person’s first name or who he or she was or what they did. And there was no sign inside or outside the school saying anything about this person. And this was before the internet and google. And I don’t recall that anybody ever asked.

As a matter of fact, I’ve never bothered to try to find out until just now. There appear to be a lot of people and stuff with that last name. Not knowing the first name, I can’t narrow it down.

Andrew Lewis H.S. He was an 18th century Irish-American pioneer, surveyor, and soldier in the French and Indian and Revolutionary wars.

All my schools were all named after saints or archbishops.

Depends on how historical you think this guy is.

Names

Kindergarten: Road
Elementary: Road
Jr. High: Local Educator / Numbered City School
Intermediate: Hawaiian King
High School: State governor / Town name
University: City / Locality / Region

Pretty mundane except for Intermediate School.

Neil Armstrong Middle School

My elementary school was PS 159Q. Named after Philip Souza of the Long Island cadet branch of the illustrious 159Qs who came on the Mayflower, if I recall my lessons.

Sort of. Georgetown, named after its location, which is thought to be named after one of three historical figures named George. Also UVA, the State U of a former colony whose name likely referred to Elizabeth I’s so called virginity.

Thomas Jefferson (second half of 7th grade) and Daniel Webster (8th grade).

I went to Abraham Lincoln High School.

My junior high was named after a school board member who died shortly before the school was constructed in the late 1950s, and I never could find out who my elementary school was named after until I finally clicked on the right link and discovered he was an attorney in that town at the turn of the last century. That school was also constructed in the late 1950s, and his widow, who was nearly 100 years old at the time, was at the dedication. :cool:

The elementary and high schools are still there; the junior high has had a number of changes over the decades, and for a while, it was an alternative school that was renamed after a then-current board member. It’s now called “Lincoln South” and is all 9th graders; the main school is grades 10-12 and has been for several decades.

Only in Iowa, I bet, would you find a Herbert Hoover Elementary School, where I attended 5th grade.

There are at least two others, one in Pennsylvania and one in California.
I didn’t attend a school named for anyone famous, but I’ve taught at ones named for Washington and Lincoln.

He was Vice President under Ulysses S. Grant.

Unfortunately yes, the scumbag, mass murderer, baby killing, slaver, child sex trafficker that was Christopher Columbus.

Fucker.

I attended what was originally called Warren G. Harding HS; established in 1924 when the country was still in shock at his death…if nothing else at his being the fourth president elected in a zero year to die in office. By 1930 the District had taken a closer look at the Harding administration, and changed the name to University HS. Another change was the discontinuation of uniforms for girls, a requirement which had never applied to boys. Some people back then were very wise.