Did you go to a school named after a historic figure?

I went to Catholic schools for grade school (Divine Savior), high school (Saint Patrick), and university (Loyola).

Recently, a friend mentioned that she went to James G. Blaine elementary school but was never taught who he was nor (at least when she was there) was there a plaque explaining who he was. Suddenly, unbidden from the depths of my American history trivia, I recited “Blaine, Blaine, James G. Blaine, continental liar from the State of Maine!” After she went :eek: and :confused: I explained that he ran for President in the late 1800s and lost to Grover “Ma, Ma, where’s my Pa? Gone to the White House, ha ha ha!” Cleveland. Couldn’t remember the year but remembered those damn slogans; 19th Century earworms! :slight_smile:

I went to Wendell L. Willkie High School in Elwood, IN, which was his birthplace. He’s best known as one of the people who ran against FDR for president and lost.

High School, St. Francis Xavier. The other local choice for college track is Benjamín de Tudela.

My primary school had two sites, of which the “new one” (now left behind and used by the city for cultural events, public kindergarten and so forth) is called Sta Juana de Lestonnac.

William C Jack elementary

“Some of his many interests were Rotary Club, Boy Scouts, Community Chest, and the Glendale Chapter of the American Cancer Committee”

It depends I guess. The school was named after the town and the town was named after a man that lived in the 1800’s. He was probably not what you would think of as a ‘historic figure’ though. He worked for the railroad that platted the town.

Edward Neill (no idea who he was)
Sigurd Olson (naturalist)
Carl Sandberg (poet)
Neil Armstrong (some guy who leaves footprints in dust)