Did you know?

You can sing Amazing Grace to the tune of the Mickey Mouse Club Song? Go ahead, try it.
Get the tune in your head…

now sing along…

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now I’m found
Was blind but now I see!

(thanks to Garrison Keillor)

You can also sing almost every Emily Dickinson poem to the tune of the theme song from Gilligan’s Island. Try it:

There’s a certain Slant of light,
Winter Afternoons–
That oppresses, like the Heft
Of Cathedral Tunes–

or…

I heard a Fly buzz–when I died–
The Stillness in the Room
Was like the Stillness in the Air–
Between the Heaves of Storm–

WONDERFUL!

Did you know? The tune of the theme to “Twin Peaks” is the Beastie Boys’ “Girls” slowed down? I don’t remember where I heard that…possibly here!

Who was it that sang the Gilligans Island lyrics to Stairway to heaven? Well, it works.

Get an old album of “The Music Man.” Speed up “Good Night My Sweetheart” and discover that it’s “76 Trombones.”

Who’s been messing with my song?

Weird Al Yankovich put the words to the Brady Bunch theme song to the tune of Safety Dance on one of his albums.

The "Pennsilvania Polka"is the Army’s “First Call” Set to a polka beat. First Call is what soldiers first hear in the AM, not “reveille” as most think.Also, it is the “Call to the Post” one hears at the race track.

Zymurgist

Is it just me or are “Ferry 'cross the Mersey” and “Venus in Blue Jeans” the exact same song? It’s been quite a while since I’ve heard either, but I seem to recall the chorussssesses’s’ses’ (sorry) are identical tune wise.

Oh, and did you know “My Sweet Lord” is really “He’s So Fine?” Kidding! Anyone who thinks that is smoking crack!

Ever notice the eerie similarities between the “Banana Splits” theme song and Bob Marley’s “Buffalo Soldiers?” They have the exact same refrain:

Banana Splits: Tra la la, tra luh-la-la, tra la la, la luh-la laaaaaa

Buffalo Soldiers: Hy yi yi, hy yuh-yi yi, hy yi yi, yi yuh-yi yiiiii
The question is…who ripped off who?

Tim
“My hovercraft is full of eels.”

I remember hearing Captain and Tenille’s “Love Will Keep Us Together” sung to the tune of Joy Division’s “Love Will Tear Us Apart”. I forget who did it though.

You can also rap the lyrics to “Ice Ice Baby” to Beck’s “Where It’s At,” but only in certain places in the song.

Oh, and I’m not sure who did this one, but about 8 years ago, a really popular bit on a national radio station we used to get around here was “Green Haze,” meaning someone sang the lyrics of the theme song of Green Acres to the tune of “Purple Haze.”

I thought the Simpsons theme was practically the same as the Jetsons theme.

A few years ago, the local news, instead of playing the usual “news” music, played the Jetsons theme. Went perfectly with the flying logo graphics.

My siblings and I have always been amused by this one:

In one of the hymns sung in the church we occasionally go to, the line “You alone are the Holy One” is sung using the same notes and rhythm as Blondie singing “The tide is high but I’m holding on”

One of the funniest things I ever heard was the bluegrass version of a couple of songs from Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon. Does
anybody remember who did it? I want to say the Austin Lounge Lizards but I’m not sure.

Has anyone else noticed that Amazing Grace not only works with the tune of the Mickey Mouse theme, but also fits perfectly into the Gilligan’s Island theme?

(Probably wouldn’t have noticed if Drain Bead hadn’t mentioned Gilligan’s Island in the second message, thanks, DB.)

‘They couldn’t hit an Elephant from this dist…!’

Last words of General John Sedgwick

Amazing Grace also works sung to the Eagles’ “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” Did that one at mass once…

Uh, I hope you’re not kidding. George Harrison was in fact sued by the publishers of “He’s So Fine” and was found to have “unconciously plagiarized” it.

Hmmmm…I don’t hear it. They sound totally different to me. Maybe small similarities in arrangement.