Can someone help me out here? I’m not seeing the difference (which is why I don’t use “intimate”).
Thanks.
I believe the denotation is the same; they are synonyms. IMHO “intimate” usually carries a negative connotation, such as when implying something that is offensive or insulting to the listener.
[QUOTE=CookingWithGas]
I believe the denotation is the same; they are synonyms. IMHO “intimate” usually carries a negative connotation, such as when implying something that is offensive or insulting to the listener.
[/QUOTE]
Well that would be a distinction, thanks.
“To intimate” is to make someone familiar with something; it does not preclude direct statement, but it usually means some indirect method is being used.
“To imply” is to pass knowledge indirectly or by forcing a particular conclusion. It is usually limited to a single fact or conclusion (i.e. an implication).
For example, you imply your boss is a jerk, but you intimate your feelings about your boss.
While we’re here, can I get a ruling on “insinuate”?
[QUOTE=WhyNot]
While we’re here, can I get a ruling on “insinuate”?
[/QUOTE]
I’ll suggest that an ‘implication’ is just a deduction that can be made. Positive, negative or neutral.
‘Insinuation’ often has devious intent.
[QUOTE=CookingWithGas]
I believe the denotation is the same; they are synonyms. IMHO “intimate” usually carries a negative connotation, such as when implying something that is offensive or insulting to the listener.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t think this is correct at all.
“Imply” means that you’re not saying it directly.
“Intimate” means that you’re saying something privately or confidentially (it could be direct or indirect).
[QUOTE=acsenray]
I don’t think this is correct at all.
“Imply” means that you’re not saying it directly.
“Intimate” means that you’re saying something privately or confidentially (it could be direct or indirect).
[/QUOTE]
FWIW, I’ve never associated “intimate” with any sort of negative connotation.
[QUOTE=WhyNot]
While we’re here, can I get a ruling on “insinuate”?
[/QUOTE]
This is to introduce something gradually or subtlely; it differs from “imply” because it is not limited to strictly deducible conclusions, and it differs from “intimate” in the subtle/gradual method only. There is also the fact that “insinuate” can be applied to things other than abstract thoughts/ideas (e.g. a person can insinuate themselves into a conversation), whereas “imply” and “infer” always take thoughts/beliefs/feeelings and the like as the object of their action.
Subtleties and complications commonly lead people to believe treachery is afoot, so insinuate often has an insidious connotation.
[QUOTE=acsenray]
I don’t think this is correct at all.
“Imply” means that you’re not saying it directly.
“Intimate” means that you’re saying something privately or confidentially (it could be direct or indirect).
[/QUOTE]
The sense of saying something privately is confusing the adjective with the verb.
Cite. (click on “adjective”)
However, neither of these use the word “imply,” and the connotation, as I mentioned, was only my opinion.