Different actors playing the same role.

After I saw Superman Returns, I was wondering what was the point of Brandon Routh trying to portray Christopher Reeves playing Superman, rather than coming up with his own interpretation for the role.

So then I tried to compare his redundant performance with other actors who had to play a character previously played by another actor. The problem was that I could not think of many. I remembered Batman and that was pretty much it.

Help me out?

(Avoiding a myriad of historical figures): Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Philip Marlowe, Hannibal Lector, Santa Claus, Dracula, Frankenstein’s Monster, Jack Ryan for starters…

Charlie Chan. Individual interpretations didn’t seem to matter.

Don Vito Corleone.
Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunn

Doctor Who comes to mind. But, each of the actors plays the Doctor in his own unique way, not as a carbon copy of the Doctor before him.

I was gonna say James Bond. Damn you ArchiveGuy!

What about the other characters from the Superman franchise? Luthor, Lois Lane, the Kents, etc.

Brad and Janet from Rocky Horror and Brad and Janet from Shock Treatment.

Kevin Kline as Frederic from Pirates of Penzance and Christopher Atkins as Frederic in The Pirate Movie.

Kristi Swanson and Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffies.

Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell, Kevin Costner, Burt Lancaster, Henry Fonda)

Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, Johnny Depp)

Dude! Why do you have Santa listed in the middle of all those fictional characters? :eek:

Watching Attack of the Clones, I found myself giggling at how obviously Ewan MacGregor was trying to imitate Alec Guiness’ speaking style as Obi-Wan.

Let’s not forget Dick Sergeant and Dick York as Darrin Stevens in ‘Bewitched’.

Robin Curtis replacing Kirstie Alley as Lieutenant Saavik. (Star Trek: II and III).

Just about any character in a movie made from a TV show:

Jim Varney and Buddy Ebsen as Jed Clampett.

Florence Henderson and Shelly Long as Carol Brady.

Jon Schneider and Tom Wopat or Sean William Scott and Johnny Knoxville as Bo and Luke Duke.

You get the picture.

JESUS! Yes, that’s my answer: Jesus.

Also The Phantom of the Opera, Joseph of Technicolor Dreamcoat Fame, Eva Peron, and Norma Desmond.

Even though this is in reference to the movies (neither of which tickled my fancy), as the Dope’s most outspoken Savoyard I must nitpick. Kevin Kline was the Pirate King (a role I have also played). Rex Smith was Frederic.

I knew that. Really.

So make it Rex Smith/Kevin Kline in PoP and Chris Atkins/Ted Hamilton in TPM. I suppose we could throw in Linda Ronstadt and Kristie McNichol (sp?) for good measure.

Apropos of nothing, but good god, Rex Smith sells real estate.

Lecy Goranson & Sarah Chalke as Becky Conner-Healy, and Sal Barone & Michael Fishman as DJ Conner.

Corry Carpf & Jewel Staite as Heidi Gotts.

I was rather impressed by Rob Lowe’s version of a young Robert Wagner during the former’s turn at playing “Number Two” in the second Austin Powers movie.

They replaced the original bad-as T.rex from Jurassic Park 1&2 with some wimply lookalike in JP 3.

That doesn’t count…?

Brian Cox played Hannibal Lecter in Manhunter long before Anthony Hopkins got to him. It was a different Lecter, but a good one.

#2 from The Prisoner