Dimples in Wine Bottles

A simple question: what is the purpose the the “dimple” often found in the bottom of wine bottles?

To make it look like you’re getting more wine than you really are. :smiley:

I think that may actually be it, no fooling…

Unca Cecil addresses the purpose of the dimple, properly called a punt.

I always thought the aim was to make the bottle more stable when standing on the “punt” end.

Sure, because a 750ml bottle with a punt holds less than a 750ml bottle without a punt.

It’s also called a kick or a kick up, and Cecil’s answer is correct (of course.)

It might have served a purpose at one time, but today is really just a marketing decision.
Most people expect a higher end wine to be in a bottle with a punt, so most winemakers put their better wines in a bottle with one. It’s not needed and serves no real purpose for still wine bottles. Take a look at any cheaper wine’s bottle (Two Buck Chuck is a perfect example.) The bottom is about as flat as a pancake.

How’d it end up being called a punt?
That usually refers to a A flat-bottomed boat with square ends; from which one may fire a Punt gun.

punt ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pnt)
The indentation in the bottom of a champagne or wine bottle.

[Perhaps from punty, iron rod used in glass blowing, probably from French pontil, from pointe, point, from Old French. See point.]

From Dictionary.com

An additional question not coverered in Cecil’s response:

Concerning bottles of sparkling wine (like Champagne), I had heard that the punt helped strengthen the bottle to prevent bursting from the pressure of the bubbly.

True? False? Irrelevent?

Some googling brought up these links,
http://www.oakstone-winery.com/oakarticlesold.htm#15 (scroll down a bit for the paragraph on punts): mentions that it was solely a result of hand-blowing manufacturing processes, and was retained for the “classiness”.

http://cheers.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=2297 : indicates that the punt did originally provide some stability against bursting, but it’s not technically required for modern glass.

I’ve heard it called a ‘kick’

In addition to the above, waiters use it as a grip to reach across the table when filling your glass.