Dining out a la carte - yea or nay?

Sometimes - prix fixe means you have a certain number of courses for a set price with limited choices for each course. Table d’hôte usually means the same thing but also sometimes means no choice at all.

My thoughts as well. Last time we went for a steak dinner (which happens about once in a decade) the bill was over $350, including drinks. The entire menu was a la carte, with ridiculous prices on everything ($12 for frites?). Luckily the wife doesn’t crave restaurant steak very often.

Table d’hôte is similar to prix fixe but less restricted. With prix fixe you get a complete meal offered at a fixed price. With Table d’hôte you are offered a number of courses with a small, curated selection of choices in each course. There may be more expensive items (filet steak. lobster) on offer for an extra charge.

Yeah–and wine/drink prices tend to mirror the menu prices–$18 cocktails? Sure! Cheapest bottle of wine $80? Sure!

And if you ask for “call” liquor, like Beefeater instead of Gordons in the well, you can add another $5.

I’m with the yea crowd, in general. I have to be careful with my carbs. If I’m getting bacon and eggs, say, I’ll prefer just getting the bacon and eggs and not paying extra for hash browns and toast. If I have to pay for the whole shebang, I usually tell them to leave off the toast, which unlike some I like less than potatoes, and then I eat only some of the potatoes. A la carte can save me money and works better in this context.

Also the amount of food waste is disheartening,

Yea to flexibility in dining.

Let me warn you not to order fast food from Doordash/grubhub et al-- they charge you .05 for EVERY ketchup/sugar/creamer…

I don’t like it… it sucks… but there’s no changing it.
I went to a neighborhood bistro that had been highly recommended yesterday for a late lunch.
17 dollars for a basic-ass hamburger. 1.50 extra for cheese.
And then I saw the side of fries was 7 dollars.
It was fine.